Friday, July 04, 2008



A New Relationship With the Lord


My new goal is to spend some time studying the character of God because for some odd reason, over the past two years I have lost sight of who he really is. There was a time when I felt I knew the Lord intimately, but today I realize the intimacy I felt with the Lord was little more than a taste; a dab from the end of his finger to the tip of my tongue is the amount of him that I actually realized. I am under the distinct impression that perhaps I never knew him the way I thought I did. I have never been more at peace and satisfied than when I understood that I was truly loved by God, just as I am, but now I realize there is much more to this walk with the Lord. I am no longer satisfied with only a taste of what God offers.


The Lord extended his grace to me in huge amounts over the past couple of years. When I first realized he was real, 11 years ago, my hunger to be close to him and understand all I could about him seemed immense, but as difficulties came into my life again and again, I began to loose faith in him. Someplace in all the hardships and brokenness, I allowed myself to believe the lie that his ability to make change in my life was not all that I had previously believed. My view of him changed through loss and pain. I felt that if he really cared about me he would change my circumstances. I became too weak to fight and I waited for him to rescue me, but it seemed as time passed I fell deeper and deeper into the little hole I had allowed to swallow my life. I even became angry with God.


I realize this is not the kind of relationship that will take me very far in my walk with the Lord. I understand very clearly that I can’t get too comfortable in my walk with the Lord to the point where I am just going through the motions. I will admit, I became tired, and worn out. Some say I got burned-out, which I adamantly denied, but today I admit it is likely the truth. There are a number of reasons for that, which I won’t go into because I don’t think it matters anymore. My focus was distracted from the goal the Lord had for me. Most of which was not of my own doing, but it changed my view and perception and now that I know that I need to do something to get my life back on track with the Lord.


The past must stay in the past and what comes will come naturally if I don’t look too far ahead and try to direct or control the outcome. I believe my life will encounter many episodes in which the Lord will use the obstacles that I will encounter to stretch me. This will be a good thing and will help me to grow into the person he created me to be. I realize now that it is not the destination that will make my life worthwhile, but it is the journey I will take on the way to that destination. When I have a destination or goal in mind, I am driven to succeed. As I work toward this destination I see the progress I am making and this encourages me to continue, but I miss so much living in because I am so focused on the end.


In the past, instead of making progress toward my destination, I felt I was falling behind. This disrupted my drive to reach the destination, therefore diminished my purpose and reason to continue working at it. I think I understand now that the destination is the prize when all is said and done, but the real treasure is in living within every moment between here and there. So my new goal is to do my best to just live in the moment and look for opportunities to share my moments with those the Lord places in my life. Before I can truly do that I need to fortify my view of the God. I need to study his character. So for now, maybe forever, I plan on living in the moment with him as much as possible in order to know him more.


Pastor’s sermon last Sunday was just want I needed. He talked about the virtues of a disciple. Gentleness was the virtue of the day. Pastor stated that our gentleness should be noted by all (Phil. 4.5) and then he talked about the opposite of gentleness being harshness. Throughout the sermon he kept coming back to the fact that the Lord is gentle. One thing he said really stuck with me, “Things that kill are criticism and harshness in our words and treatment of others”. These are the opposite of gentleness. He brought the message home with this premise. If Christians really want to do the work of the Lord and show love and gentleness they need to speak to people with seeds not bullets. I really liked that. Because of my life experiences I was waiting on the Lord to speak to me with bullets and harshness, but he didn’t and he never will. He opens doors and windows and invites me in. He is gentle and kind as he loves me back into the fold.


I began seeking the character of God by making two lists. One contains words that describe who God is and the other consists of words describing who he is not. I started the lists by noting all the things I needed my parents to be. God is all of those things. Then I listed all the harmful things my parents were and called it the list of things that God is not. Then in my reading I ran across Colossians 3 and Exodus 34:6-7. I plan to continue with my study of the heart of God on a daily basis. A huge part of my growing in understanding concerning who he is will come through the acknowledgment of the work he has already done in my life. This is the beginning of a new relationship with the Lord. God is way better than good! Amen? Amen!

7 comments:

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

God is the parent we all longed for. "Seeds, not bullets.." I like that.

Iris Godfrey said...

Good post! I have recently been absolutely startled by the Lord's goodness and what grace really is. All our strivings cease in the bounty of His love, then flow in the empowerment of His presence!
Awesome.
Thank you for sharing your journey.

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

One thing I started doing this year in my Bible studies is underlining any word that describes God and His character in purple. Purple means "magestic". I have been a Christain all my life and knew of God but to know Him personally came with brokenness-it was moving from knwoing of him to knowing Him. Make sense?

Like you, I can;t get enough!!

In His Graces~Pamela

Paula V said...

Honey, I have been in a similar situation where you were...fallen and weakened in my walk with the Lord. It definitely is NO place to be. To be in His Hands, even the times of pruning, are better than being anywhwere else.

As you said: "The past must stay in the past." Absolutely sister! Amen. Do you know that when the past comes back that is only satan reminding you and trying to take you back there. He wants you to forget the freedom of forgiveness you have.

"I realize now that it is not the destination that will make my life worthwhile, but it is the journey I will take on the way to that destination." Amen, Amen. That is a very hard lesson to learn. It's so hard to keep our eyes focus on today and the process of the journey. God is so much more concerned with our journey, the pruning of our character during it, than any destination. Destinations are good but that can become very destractive. It is hard because I too "see" a destination and a possible outcome for my current trial and I sometimes want to hurry through this painful process of waiting and leaning on the Lord to get to that glorious destination that I know will be Him such glory. Even though that is true, His glory is also found in our present, in today, in the journey.
Blessings my friend.
You are on the way to true intimacy with the Father.
Love,
Paula

Van said...

From a former Cheesehead- well still am as I left my heart in WI when I moved away 10 years ago! Love your insight and will continue to ponder your words throughout the day

Christie Todd said...

I am so excited for you as you begin one more journey with God. Your desire for more of God will bring much. I remember the day that I got down on my knees and begged God to fill me with his wisdom and a greater desire for Him. Of course, it didn't come immediately but God answered my prayer by giving me a great passion to study and apply His word. He was so apparent in my life from then on, if you truly desire more of Him, He will give you more.
Continue on your search of Him today and only today - tomorrow will take care of its self.
Christie

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post. I had to come back and read it again.

A few thoughts that jumped into my mind while reading: first, what Walter Brueggemann calls a "credo of five adjectives" that continually recurs in the Hebrew Scriptures: This God that Israel--and Jesus--discovered is consistently seen to be: "merciful, gracious, faithful, forgiving, and steadfast in love." As Richard Rohr said about the five adjectives, "It has taken us a long time to even believe that could be true, but the only people who really know it to be true for themselves are those who sincerely seek, pray and, often, suffer"

Also, I love the picture of Jesus and the lost sheep at the beginning of the post. This reminded me of the parable of the lost sheep: does He not leave the 99 and go in search of the one?

Recently I learned something about sheep and shepherding. If a sheep goes a astray once it will do it again. This is what the shepherd does to correct this. He will break the leg of the stray sheep. Then he will set the leg. Then he will carry that sheep over his shoulders until the broken leg is healed--that common image we see of the shepherd with a lamb around his neck actually portrays this. Once the leg is healed, the sheep will never leave the shepherd's side again.

There's a profound metaphor in there somewhere.