Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Many Questions I Ponder

I sat in one of my favorite places near the river and found myself asking the Lord many questions; especially about my feelings. I prayed a prayer not unlike so many I have prayed over the past few months. There are areas of emotion and feelings that I deal with that make me so upset with myself and I am getting pretty tired of dealing with these same kinds of issues. I feel the reason I get upset is because I know my feelings and thoughts don’t line up with what the Lord wants for me.


I must admit there are times when I am very hard on myself, especially when I feel I am failing in some areas where I have been trying so hard to make change, but in this case I feel the issues and feelings that I am experiencing need to be taken care of so I asked the Lord to take me to the root of the problem. I soon found myself trying my best to be still and focused in my awareness of God. Again I expressed my willingness to see the ugliness of my own heart and I believe the Lord delivered.


The thoughts that ran through my mind were concerning some people and issues that I have dealt with many times. I asked the Lord to help me and shared with him how much I hated the way I was feeling and that I need his grace and forgiveness in order to change and move on. I began to pray for these people and with my eyes closed I recounted the face of each one as I spoke out their names. My broken heart accompanied my request.

I could see myself alongside these people as I prayed and I was aware that the Lord was looking at all of us with the very same love and tenderness in his eyes.


Visualizing what seemed to be myself on my knees with hands held up I noticed I was holding something that looked like a garment or a cloth that draped across each hand. There appeared to be a shimmer of light that outlined my body and especially my head and shoulders which shown from the presence seated before me. With eyes still closed I was unable to make out a face, but the presence seemed warm and inviting and filled with life. My head was bowed in shame and reverence for being in the presence of the Lord. It was in that moment that I realized what the garment was as I held it up to offer it to the Lord.


The garments that I was holding up as I pictured myself represent my own rags of righteousness as spoke of in Isaiah 64:6.


All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.


I have read that scripture time and again and heard sermons about it as well, but for the first time because of what my mind was seeing, I truly understand it’s meaning for me personally. Righteousness as filthy rags is the perfect description of the righteousness I had to offer the Lord. I believe the Lord was revealing himself to me by giving me a view of what I looked like along side the very people I have been struggling with. My time in meditation and prayer following this time with the Lord has revealed many thing to my heart about myself.


As long as I am willing to look at others in comparison as thought they are the ones with problems, my own righteousness will be seen as no more than filthy rags in the presence of the Lord. I began to understand that though many things that I had done for the Lord over the years were with the right heart attitude, some were not and those things that I have done in my own power and strength are as filthy rags as well.


I know I am not perfect and I realize I can never get everything right, but when the Lord reaches into my heart as he did during my prayer time, I know I need to stop, take note and apply what I have learned to my life. I will be studying righteousness and my ability to obtain it not through law, but through the promise of God and my faith in the Lord. My heart longs to be where the Lord wants it to be and I know he meets me where I am so I will continue to wait on him as he brings answers to the many questions I ponder.

9 comments:

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

I would love to pray by that lake and experience God in that way!! When I am out in nature I am out in God's creation and I feel Him everywhere. It is one of my favorite places to be. a reading from this little book called Simply Surrender with writings from a Saint Therese of Lisieux of the 1800's she wrote how she compared herself to the saints as she wanted to be one and she reasoned that "God would not inspire a wish which could not be realized, and that un spite of my littleness, I might aim at being a saint. I'm not Catholic but this really stirred me. In seeking righteousness are we not to stive to be "saintly"? All things ae possible through God and God alone, not of myself.
Just a tought to ponder!!

In His Graces~Pamela

Amy said...

Beautiful thoughts.

I noticed your comment on Mia's blog about your babies being a surprise similar to Mia's....Do you have a post about that? I would love to read it. I love to know about God's surprises like that, especially concerning babies.:)

God Bless,
Amy:)

Kate said...

My children and I are reading Isaiah right now and this is exactly the message that we are coming away with. Nation after nation is brought into judgement because of their "haughty eyes." We have looked at many verses that relate to haughty eyes (pride) and find that God clearly says he hates this sin and in Isaiah we see that He holds us accountable for it. He does not let us continue on our prideful paths. This has broken my heart and is making my family do some serious soul searching. We might look like we have it all together when compared to other families that we may know (Why do we always use people as our measuring rod?) but compared to God, no way. A very convicting book, Mr. Isaiah has written. We'll be there for a while.

So anyway, God used your post here to drive that nail of conviction a little deeper.

Kate

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

Hi, I'm Sonya and I'm coming by from the Internet Cafe.

This was a precious post! It was exhilerating to read and I felt closer to God. Our best is nothing to Him, but thankfully there is the blood of Jesus, that is the true garment of righteousness. I'm so glad for the blood!

It was nice meeting you here.

AnneDroid said...

Powerful stuff. That was good to read.

Angela Baylis said...

Hi! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. It's so nice to meet new sister's in Christ! This post was so beautiful! I love how He is the "head lifter". I hope you know how much you are loved. Only His love is perfect!

I'll be back to read your blog again soon!
Love,
Angie xoxo

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Wow. I love you, M2P! God does too.

Nicole said...

Beautifully written real post. I feel like lately I have been learning so much. One of the things is regarding my emotions. I know that they can really fool me and blind me from the truth of God. I want to believe truth NOT my emotions. That's been difficult for me.

About a year or so ago I was also asking the Lord what makes me righteous in His sght. Thanks for the verses on that. I was able to find out that of course NOT the law was what makes me righteous but my love for the Lord. Then because of my love for the Lord my obedience had a lot to do with righteousness. I need to go back and look over some of those verses again.

It was nice to "meet" you.

Nicole

Lori said...

Hello! I just discovered your comment on my blog today, though you were kind enough to visit several months ago. I've neglected the blog for too long, obviously. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a message. I enjoyed reading your blog too!
All the best,
Lori