Friday, October 17, 2008

HE Restores the Broken Hearted


Lost for more reasons than I care to revisit, at the age of 17 my life had taken a downward spiral and just when I thought things couldn't get any worse, they did.

I had no clue how difficult my life was about to become. There was no way to escape the fact that my overwhelming need for love and acceptance had led to what was perceived by most as the destruction of any possibility for my ability to have a "normal" life. The fears and discouragement that I would deal with added to disappointment I felt in myself for allowing it to happen became the backdrop of my existence. Having no direction whatsoever had led me straight down a path of no return.

I became pregnant with Andrew during my Junior year in high school. My first reaction to this reality was intense fear and panic. What would I do; what will my life become; how will I tell my parents, who will accept me; what man would want me now? My mind raced with these questions day and night. I cried myself to sleep more times than I can count for fear of what my life would become. I truly did not know what I was going to do or what this would mean for my future and I had never felt so alone in my life. It seemed like a constant struggle to wrap my brain around the realization that my life was ruined.

Andrews father (Richard) was my best friend; what would I tell him? How could this happen to me? I felt hopeless and lost. Once I finally got up the courage to begin talking about it, I started by telling a close friend. Nancy was someone I felt I could trust. She was a little younger than me, and she seemed to truly care about my feelings. She listened and did not judge. Once I told her, I was able to be a little more rational about the pregnancy. I knew I needed to tell Richard next. Neither Richard nor I knew what to do and both of us were scared. Doom and despair had enveloped both our lives.

The day came when I shared my secret with my parents. It had been two months since my menstrual cycle and I knew it was just a matter of time before it would become obvious that I was pregnant. I waited until what I thought might be the right time. It had been a long day with my dad and stepmother drinking and visiting with company. It must have been a Saturday or Sunday because I remember people being around the entire day. Once everyone had gone home and dad was asleep, it was just me and my step-mom sitting at the dining room table. She had had a few drinks and that is when she was easy to talk with so I took that opportunity to share the news.

It all became quit a blur after that. Once I told my stepmother...things began to unfold rather quickly. She said she was not surprised. My dad told me I was an embarrassment to the family and that he was ashamed of me. His words seemed to cut me wide open, but I realize now his response to my pregnancy was probably the best reaction he knew how to share. I was hurt deeply by his reaction to my crisis because I longed for his support and understanding. I needed so much for him to hold and love me. I needed him to tell me it would be alright, but he could not. He didn't know how to. I felt more alone in that moment than ever before. Months later I found out that my own mother was pregnant when she and dad were married and found it difficult to understand his reaction to my pregnancy.

When my stepmother told Richard's mother of the pregnancy she denied it was his baby. There was no mistake who the father was though because Richard was the only one I had been with. Richard's older sister, a social worker, came over a few days later without invitation. I was home alone and not emotionally equipped to answer the tough questions she had come to ask me. Though she was very soft spoken and was caring in her approach, her words were difficult and sharp. She stated that this baby would likely ruin both mine and Richard's life.

After asking me what I planned on doing she brought up what she and her mother thought would be a good solution to the problem. "ABORTION" Eeeeek! Even in my immaturity and lack of emotional stability, I was able to share the true feelings of my heart concerning her request. I stood up from the steps on the porch where we had been sitting and I told her, I could not kill my own child. I said, "This baby is a part of me and I can't even think of ending its life." This pregnancy was more than a problem to get rid of to me...it was a human life. A piece of me lived inside of me. I felt that if I were to have an abortion a part of me would die as well.

The turmoil continued in my mind. Many sleepless nights and difficult days were ahead. I went back and forth in my mind about what I should do. When the dust had settled, just a little, I spoke with Richard and told him I was planning on having this baby and that I was not going to hold him responsible. I knew his mother and sister didn't want him to have to deal with this. He and I were only kids; neither of us had any idea the impact this new life would have on our own lives. Though my life was in a world-wind of confusion, somewhere deep inside I felt a spark of hope and was even a little happy about this new life growing inside me.

Now that I had disappointed every living adult in my life, I felt a severe shame and remorse for my actions. People I needed for emotional support were no in my life...The months that followed were filled with a few ups, but mostly downs.

come back in a few days to see what happened next.

9 comments:

Paula V said...

You had me clinging at every word.

Thank you for sharing. It can't be easily but I'm sure God's healing is in the midst of you revisiting this part of your life.

Amy said...

Ditto to what Paula said. I know so many others who are going through this same situation can also be blessed and encouraged by your words and your willingness to share them.

I'll be back.....

God Bless,
Amy:)

Tara said...

Wow, I too was clinging to your story. I hope to see more.. Thank goodness we do not have to live as products of our past and our past does not determine our future.
Thanks for sharing some very real things.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

:-) (((((Patty))))

much2ponder said...

Paula, thank you so much for always finding time to read my blog. You have blessed me more than you know.

Amy, remember back in the summer I said I was going to write about this? Well here is finally is...:)I was writing with you in mind because you had commented about it on Mama Mia's blog.

Tara-thanks for stopping by, I will be adding part two in a couple of days. These are issues I have worked through over the past 12 years, which makes it possible for me to write so freely about them. Praise the Lord!

Thanks Pastor Dorcas for stopping by. I know you already know most of this, but you have never stopped supporting me and I love you for that.

Angela Baylis said...

I'll be back to hear what happened next. My heart already hurts for you! This is just a story to a lot of people, but it's sooooooooo much more! I love you and appreciate you sharing this part of your life with me! God Bless you on this beautiful Sunday!
Love you,
Angie xoxo

diane b said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I am glad I have found you. Your story is so ell written and it could be my story except I think the ending might be different. I can't wait to hear part 2.

much2ponder said...

Ang- Thanks so much for your kind words. I decided to share this story after a fellow blogger said she loved hearing baby stories...I am almost done with part two and will post it soon.

Diane,
I'm glad I found you...seems you have a special something, I look forward to getting to know. Stay tuned if you feel so inclined. God is in it!

awareness said...

Your story is written with such genuine feeling..... my heart was also right there with you. I read somewhere that thoughts and feelings are nothing unless expressed.....and you did it so well.

Our stories are such an important part of our fingerprints.... I look forward to learning about what happened next....

ps. you just posted a comment on my blog as i was reading yours....what a lovely small world it is.