
Today I just want to share a couple of thoughts about the book I am currently reading. Anam Cara, A Book of Celtic Wisdom, written by John, O'Donohue.Awareness is the blog that sparked my interest in O'Donohue. I began reading as much information about him as I could get my hands on and purchased a couple of his books on line. I must say, I have not been disappointed. O'Donohue's writings have a way of explaining in terms of written language, the core essence of what I have been feeling in my heart, but have not been able to find words to express. I'm not sure exactly what the fascination with understanding this man's writings is doing in me, but this is what I do know; I am enjoying each moment of this understanding of human nature; spirit, body, emotional, and soul. His writings have opened a door for me to experience freedom in Christ and understanding of myself in relationship to Christ in new ways. Below are a couple of excerpts.
" In everyone's inner solitude there is that bright and warm hearth. The idea of
the unconscious, even though it is a very profound and wonderful idea, has sometimes frightened people away from coming back to their own hearth. We falsely understand the subconscious as the cellar where all our repression and self-damage is housed. Out of our fear of ourselves we have imagined monsters down there. "" The demons will haunt us, if we remain afraid. All the classical mythical adventures externalize the demons. In battle with them, the hero always grows, ascending to new levels of creativity and poise. Each inner demon holds a precious blessing that will heal and free you. To receive this gift, you have to lay aside your fear and take the risk of loss and change that every inner encounter offers."
Bringing my own feelings, experiences, and views gives me a perspective of the meaning of his words that is mine alone. I will not go into detail here. I just wanted to share a little bit so you might experience from your own perspective what these words are speaking to you. Next I will be reading this book. I might share a bit more down the road...
Blessings my blogging friends


15 comments:
Hi Friend!
Isn't it awesome how God brings certain books right into our path -- just at the right time?
I'm so glad you're being blessed!
Love to you,
Beth
I am so pleased you have found his books. His words speak so deeply at times. I love his writing too, all his books are treasures.
All is well here, wakening from hibernation I think although it is still cold!
with love
Katie
Thank you for sharing some of his thoughts with us. I have not heard of him before -- doesn't mean much -- there is a lot I do not know about. But he sounds intriguing. I might have to investigate. Oh joy -- might mean I get to purchase another book. I am really good at that!
Bless you!
Beth...yes! I love it when I find something that speaks so deeply to my soul. This seemed to be one of those things that once I read a little bit, I knew I needed to read more.
RD...Yes I believe you are right. I will be ordering more John O'Donohue books really soon, they are not books to read quickly and I am taking my time, but I find myself wanting to read every chance I get:)
Iris...you will not be disappointed. in fact I believe you will be truly blessed. There are several places on the web where you can hear him speak. Look him up.
Hi m2p, you are right, they aren't books to be read quickly.
I wanted to, but they can't be rushed, I needed time to let the words soak in.
Plus I can dip into them when I feel I want to - there is always some wisdom in there.
blessings to you
Katie
I'm going to have to read some of his stuff so we can talk about it! ;-)
Gooooood morning! You have an award on my blog. :o)
Love,
b
I love finding authors that help me to understand myself even more. I'm so happy for you that John's writings have been such a blessing to you and your walk with Christ.
Have a lovely day!
God Bless,
Amy:)
SO...I'm pretty sure you will like this Author, surprised you have not already found him while on your journey.
Beth...thanks for the award! You are too kind.
Amy...thanks for your words of encouragement, how are things in your corner? Remembering you in my prayers today:)
I just want to say that it is so good to be in a blog that glorifies God's name. :)
I'm with Rainbow dreams....these are books to dip into- fantastic
There are a number of podcasts around too...worth finding.
Thank you for sharing. So glad you are enjoying some good reads that help with spirituality.
Denise
Grace...thanks for stopping by, always a pleasure. I will need to pop over to your spot:)
mmp...I've found a few pod-casts and listened. Trouble is, I could sit and listen all day, my husband might miss me.
Denise...glad to see you popping in and posting. I enjoyed your last post, made me think. Thinking is a good thing, right?
I am so pleased you enjoyed Anam Cara as much as I did. Eternal Echoes also holds some brilliant gems too. O'Donahue's works really do seep under the skin. Normally I'm a gobbler of books...read them very fast. But, I purposefully went slowly the first time around and keep them close by because it seems to me that we have different eyes the next time we take in his thoughts and meanings. I am forever grateful to my blog friend Paul, an anam cara to me if there ever was one who introduced Father O's writing to me in the first place.
It was O'Donahue's sudden death and the impact it had on my blogger friend Pip in the UK which made me wake up and take the trip I did to London to meet him last spring. I purchased my first copy of Anam Cara in London....am now on my 5th....i keep giving them away to friends....
enjoy the next one..... :)
Thanks Dana, still reading this one, pondering it a bit and loving how he seems to get to the heart of things. It truly amazes me how he can put to words things I could never come up with words to express. Just amazing.
Post a Comment