Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What's On Your Mind?



What's on your mind?

Here's some food for thought. (No pun intended) Our ability to think pales in comparison to the capacity of our thoughts. The complexity of the human mind cannot accurately be measured on human terms. The fact that the human mind has the capacity to actually bring healing to other parts of the body fascinates me and creates curiosity in my own mind. By altering our own perceptions we can alter the chemistry in our brains. This is not new information I know, but I am intrigued by the possibilities that the human mind has the ability to bring physical, emotional as well as spiritual healing.

On a more simplified note, I believe our thoughts have a lot to do with our moods and our attitudes. In the Character/Ethics class that I teach I tell the men that the mind is wonderfully complex with the ability to function in ways that have not even been scientifically proven yet. (Pretty exciting stuff). I jokingly say; "The mind has a mind of it's own. It loves to think and seeks out things to think about because of its hunger for new input on a regular basis". This gives rise to open discussions concerning that fact that if we don't give our minds something to do that is positive and constructive...it will take us down roads we may not want to travel.

Q: What are you feeding your mind today?

Feel free to tell me what you "think" :)

13 comments:

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hi...and thank you for your visit. Wow...this is a thought provoking post...I believe too about how the mind thinks...and how we just don't really know all there is to know about it all!!!

Gilly said...

Indeed, a very thought-provoking post! I know that when I get depressed, I get more depressed because I think depressed. (You are with me, aren't you?) Clinical depression can strike any time, it is not necessarily negative thoughts that provoke it. But it certainly can be worsened by negative thinking.

But sometimes it is so hard to think positive, when struggling with physical disabilities, and emotional problems that simply aren't going to go away, or be altered (well, not without a tremendous life unheavalwhich would probably do more harm than good!)

I have been fascinated by researchers who claim to be able to cause "religious" feelings by stimulating certain parts of our brains. In fact, most emotions seem to be able to be artificially stimulated. Not sure what this says about God, or even us, but the brain is so complex and so amazing that neuroscientists certainly don't know everything. They can't even define consciousness, for goodness sake! And sleep seems to be a bit of a problem area, too.

The whole subject fascinates me.

Anonymous said...

oh ay............

much2ponder said...

Ingrid...thanks for taking the time to share your view. I value your opinion.

Gilly...you make some valid points. I realize clinical depression is something more than just the way a person thinks. I have struggled a bit in this area and there are times that nothing seems to break the deep wretched feelings that come with it.

Though I give my students advice in the area of choosing what they feed their minds, I am aware that there are times that no amount differing input will bring a person out of a depressed state.

I am a thinker by nature. People often tell me I think too much, but my response is usually something like this...I don't try to think, my mind does it all on its own. My mind seems to have a mind of its own." When we tell someone they think too much we are implying there is something wrong with the way they think right? I choose to believe that I am a thinker because I was made to be a thinker. Sometimes when I post my thoughts I am just getting them out and I am actually writing something I need to read:)

I hear what you are saying about the health of our emotional state being connected with our physical ailments also. There is a direct link to the way we view the world and our ability to move and do as we always have. This was one of the things that contributed to the two + years of depression I delt with.

I too am fascinated by the fact that emotions can be artificially stimulated...you are a thinker too aren't you? Some things are better if we ponder together. Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. I appreciate your honest and open heart.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

I once read an article about the fact that the place in the brain that "lights up" during religious experiences had been identified.

The title of the article, which was in a secular publication was:

"Hard Wired for God?"

I remember the title more than anything else about the article (though the pictures of the brain area that registered spiritual experience were fascinating) because instead of thinking that our encounters with God are just brain chemistry, I realized that while it might inded be so, God planned it that way!

And M2P, do you remember the time in your van outside (I think) a McDonald's? I thought of that and said, "So God, our brains must have been kind of lit up, huh?"

Thank youu for the reminder that I am in control of my attitude!

Denise said...

Wow! You have definitely given me something to think about.
Denise

Confessions of a Wandering Soul said...

I am feeding my mind heaps of bliss and peace :). Basking myself in love helps me to eradicate the pain. The pain that my father has caused. He is an alcoholic and had a relapse recently. Surprisingly this time around,I feel much composed and grounded. Your blessing of solitude came to me at an apt moment so THANK YOU once again :)

much2ponder said...

SO...I am hardwired for God! I like that. I think my mind is lit up today:) We need to get together soon.

Denise...thanks for popping in. I love seeing you here. Your hair cut is so cute, makes me want to cut mine:)

(((Confessions))))I left a comment on your blog, but it is not accepting my comments. Keeps telling me I need to put in a verification word, but there is no word to enter. If you can take a look at your settings to see what the problem is maybe I will be able to post. I said a prayer for you this morning. I truly enjoy reading your blog. You share your heart so easily. Very nice.

Rainbow dreams said...

Great post - will get back to you when my mind has had time to think about it :)
some things I can think about quickly and others just take time...
what we choose to feed our mind as opposed to what is on it...or what other people feed it, sometimes without our consent.

Confessions of a Wandering Soul said...

I did look into the settings. Evrything is fine.Other bloggers were able to leave their comments behind.Not sure what the problem is :(

Confessions of a Wandering Soul said...

I did not want the other message to take the significance away from this.I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your prayer. Its kindred souls like yourself who make this world a better place. Im grateful to have our paths crossed. Thank You :)

Paula V said...

This is so true and very fascinating. I have always been fascinated with the human body and brain. It just blows my mind...how we are all so different, our brains function so vastly different, and yes our brain can heal. I didn't realize until a few years back that our body actually heals during sleep. One friend had brain cancer and she slept as much as she could as her doc told her that is when her body heals and creates new cells. It's just amazing how our body functions. How everything impacts everythingn else...lack of sleep, last of rest (as I will mention in my post tomorrow). God created such a magnificient body. I don't think people think enough about this fascinating body and brain.
Thanks for thinking and making me remember to think on my own thinking regarding thinking. :-) lol

awareness said...

Great post! I love this stuff. i believe we are wired with our thinking, feeling, and actions intertwined...and all three impact our physical, emotional and spiritual health. our physiology, i believe is directly impacted by thoughts and emotions. just look at what stress can do. :)

though i do believe we have chemicals and electrical wiring within us which is the direct cause of many mental health issues, we can wreak havoc with them too by not taking more of a role in our thinking and feelings.

William Glasser, Choice theory guru has made a BUCKET of money on espousing this...have you looked into Reality therapy M2P? It's a great technique to use in groups.