
If you have read my blog and remember anything about some of my earlier posts, you probably realize I have been working through some not so pleasant truths in myself. There were many areas in my heart that the Lord has been working on through these past two difficult years.
I spent the entire summer seeking closeness with the Lord through the solitude of his creation by getting outside by myself as much as possible. This was instrumental in my perspective change. During that time I wrote about many issues in my life going way back to my earliest memories as a child. Throughout this time of deep introspection I found myself faced with some things that needed to be given back to the Lord to handle and I also dealt with some of the issues that had been awaiting my attention for all of my adult life.
To share all of the experiences I had, I would need to write an entire book so I will share one of the most powerful lessons I have learned as I went through this difficult process. Perhaps some of you might relate to my experience in some way, I don't know, but I do feel the need to share a little bit of it here.
I believe one of the biggest problems I have experienced in my relationships with people stems from a deep need in me that I never quite understood. For some reason I thought that if I explained myself to people and shared the reasons for my behaviors, insecurities and fears they would be able to truly know me. My attempts to help people to gain understanding of myself had the opposite outcome of what I had hoped for.
I truly believed that if I could help people to know the inner workings of my thought processes and share the deepest feeling of my heart, we would somehow meet on some deeper level. I often found myself explaining my explanations and things would just get more and more confusing.
Coming to terms with the fact that no one can truly understand me or my perspective was a painful and confusing episode in my life. Looking back now I can see that the likelihood of another person truly feeling what I am feeling in my heart is very unlikely. The workings of my life are mine alone and no one else has walked the roads I have walked nor have they experienced life as I have.
In gaining understanding concerning the truth about how a person is unable to truly understand me; my eyes were opened to the same truth for my ability to truly understand the thoughts, feelings, views and motives of another person. Just when I felt sure the Lord was doing nothing, I realized he was working me over from the inside out.
Over the years I had done much writing, praying and soul searching. Writing about how each person is a unique gift and should be valued as such. Back then I was writing these things as a cry for acceptance for my own individuality and my resistance to be put in a category. I was deeply wounded and hurt by people's attempts to understand because it seemed they would always assume things based on their own experiences. I did not want to be put in some category...I was all about individualism and uniqueness.
My understanding of people and myself is that we do make judgments of other people based on what we know because it is all we have to go on. I realized that I too had been judging people based on my own experiences and to some degree I still do. How in the world do you get away from that? I have had this one thought that has run through my mind over and over and it is this:
"Don't look at others through the eyes of your own experience"
The Lord has brought this to mind for a reason...I needed to see it. I needed to realize that doing this is part of the human condition. I had high expectations on people and was deeply hurt when I felt that they truly didn't understand me. Oh how I wanted them to see ME, and hear ME, but what was I really looking for? I was looking for something from people that only God can offer me. There is no other person on the planet who can truly understand me, my thoughts, my feelings or my deepest longings. Only God can do that. The Lord has given me new eyes to see, not only this truth, but people for who they are.
I am learning Lord, but I ask for your view of people and the ability to truly love without judgment and expectations. Fill my heart with love for your people and the ability to look past what I can see into the deeper things of your heart Lord. I want to see people through your eyes. Continue to have your way in my heart I pray. In the mighty and precious name of our Lord, Jesus Christ.


13 comments:
You really opened your heart here. Precious. I can't remember but did you do the blog bible study "Behind Those Eyes" by Lisa Whittle hosted by Lelia-that book so helped me in this area. I am still using its concepts in my life today. Gotta look at life thought the eys of our God!!
blessings!
In his Graces~Pamela
Pamela...no I have not read that book, but I remember when people were blogging about it. I had every intention of getting it, but never did. Maybe I will now that you have reminded me. Thanks.
"Don't look at others through the eyes of your own experience"
Amen!
Beautiful, thoughtful post. Thank you for the encouragement that you have given me this morning.
(((BIG HUGS!)))
Amy:)
I can understand what you are saying. As I was reading, I was thinking "Yep, the human condition" and then you wrote my exact thought. We are all human and really can only offer Christ. Only God can fully meet our needs and understand our hearts.
I know I have judged the hearts of others before -- but who truly knows the heart of man other than the One who created Him?
Thank you for being so transparent. I pray God will continue to fill you full to overflowing with His love today!
Love,
Beth
Amy...your kinds words encourage me also.
Beth...thank you for your prayers and encouragement. Your sweet heart makes me smile:)
That was very moving. It makes me think of something someone once said to me--'don't judge what you feel on the inside by what you see on the outside of another person'.
No one can understand you the way Jesus only can!
Thank you for your comments on my blog; niceto know someone else loves animals, chocolate & coffee.
:)
This is a very lovely post. You have really shared your heart. Thank you for sharing and inspiring me.
Denise
I understand you well! You have a beautiful heart!!
Love to you,
Angie xoxo
This post was amazing to me! It really touched my heart. God is so awsome!!
Came back by to touch base. How are you doing? Said a special prayer for you today!
In His Graces~Pamela
Hey there! Thank you so much for stopping by Broken Mannequin. We do seem to be kindred spirits, don't we?
This post is lovely. I have struggled with some of the same issues... It hurts so much to realize how very ALONE we are inside of our heads. No one knows us as we know ourselves and this self-knowledge is a terrible burden to bear. These blogs are some relief, though, aren't they?
I am taken with the honesty and the truthfulness you are dealing with in you life. I would like to invite you to visit Psyche Connections and to exchange following blog links if you hae an interest. When I feel this sense of connection I invite the opportunity.
Linda
Carli, you seem to have a lot of depth and insight for a young person. I am especially drawn to your ability to express the hidden secrets through poetry and commentary. You bless me so much.
Linda...thanks so much for stopping by, I will spend a little time over at your place. Thanks for the invitation.
Post a Comment