Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Finding Me and Breaking Free...

This post is something that has been brewing for quite some time.

Moving from New York state to Wisconsin with four children, a husband as pictured above, might seem a bit extreme to most people. I think deep down I knew I was running from something, but at the same time I was running toward something. Would leaving the pain of my past be the answer or was it just a detour from what really needed to happen? The answer is likely a big helping of both.

Back in 1996 I had lots to run from to be honest, but what I found was something that, though different, only reinforced my feelings of imperfection. OK that's putting it mildly. I felt damaged beyond repair and defective to the point that even my idea of normal became warped. Worst of all, I knew what had made me that way, but could see no way out of my own perceptions of an innocent life interrupted. Back then I was one who didn't wait long for change to occur. If I saw something needed changing...I usually took the necessary measures.

I wonder if it is true for most that we come to the foot of the cross when there seems to be nowhere else to go. In my own estimation of my willingness to come to the Lord, this was the case. Asking God to intervene and change me didn't happen in a church or with a group of people. No one said a prayer with me. It was the questions in my own heart that led me to call out to the Lord. It was because I felt so alone and broken; as if I were flawed beyond repair. I called out to God tears streaming down my face; full of self loathing and lack of understanding for myself or anyone else. Feeling lost, alone and unloved, were all factors, but more than anything, I felt I was unlovable and in a moment of deep despair, I recall pleading with Him to help, " God!" I groaned, "If you are real, come into my life and change me!"

Within a years time I was living 1000 miles away from my the discomfort of my life, but was I really? Coming to Wisconsin would prove bitter sweet. I have been living a lot of the past 12 years in denial. Denial to the fact that I separated myself from people in my life that had hurt me and could potentially still hurt me. Seeking answers, I believe I found the truth, at least as much truth as I have been willing to accept.

I could list the many good things that have taken place since we move to WI such as all of my children giving their hearts to the Lord, my husband and myself seeking the Lord also and all the good that has come from it, but for the sake of staying on subject I will refrain. In coming to an understanding of who God is I was lead to a body of believers who did their best to love as the Bible instructs, but being only human many did just the opposite. I had always been a church goer. The Lord had tugged on my heart from an early age. Getting involved in the process of healing; with the aid of a church family that meant well, but did much harm, taught me something that I feel will take me into the next season of my life in understanding who I am.

Being involved in my church gave me a structure inside of which I might find healing of some deep hurts. I wanted more than anything to be able to truly love people and be loved by people. Questions that seemed to always surface and be reinforced by well meaning people were...

What is my purpose?
Who am I supposed to be?
What will I do for God?
Who did God create me to be?

These were not bad questions. In fact they moved me to make a lot of positive changes in my life and behaviors. The problem I have with these kinds of questions is that they imply something very negative about the person asking them. These questions take us away from the idea of accepting ourselves. Though they are meant to bring us to a clearer understanding of why we are here and what we should be doing while we are here, they reinforce feelings of inadequacy, shame and guilt.

I had a lot of issues that needed to be worked through in order for me to be able to forgive myself and others who have hurt me, but it seemed to me the deeper I went with looking at all of this, the farther away from being made whole I got. The things that had happened to me in my life, that were totally out of my own control, had somehow stolen any chance of being complete. The questions that drove my life became...

What do others expect from me?
Why can't I seem to get this right?
Will I always feel flawed?

Over time my hope of becoming whole had dwindled and I realized my efforts to become a "normal" person were fruitless. It seemed no matter where I turned there were people who would pile more hurt on top of old wounds and my way of dealing with those issues only made it worse. I would go into hiding or totally cut a person out of my life. I walked away from many relationships for the simple cause of self preservation.

Most recently I began to look more seriously at my relationships with people and instead of looking at what they might be doing that makes me uncomfortable, I have been looking at my reaction to their actions and questioning the reasons for some of my responses. I thought hard about the fact that my relationships seem to mirror one another, in both positives and negatives, with the exception of a few. This got me interested in finding out more about the part I played in each one.

With in the family of believers I realize that a huge part of my problem stems from the fact that I was truly seeking to be loved and in a Christian environment, I didn't expect anything else. I had opened myself up only to be hurt again and again and for me that was extremely counter productive in my growth process. In my efforts to love and be loved, I only succeeded in doing what I had always done. What is that saying about insanity? I believe it goes something like this. Insanity is always doing the same thing and expecting different results. Perhaps I should say it like this. If I always do what I've always done, I'll always get what I've always gotten."

Does anyone here me? Does anyone relate?

This post will be continued in a few days...I'm out of time and it's getting long


Here we are all grown up 10 years later

9 comments:

Amy said...

Yes, I hear you, and yes, I definitely relate. I look forward to the rest of your story.

I understand so well the feelings that you have shared here. Although I haven't ever moved to a new location, I have definitely moved away from relationships for self preservation.

And that picture of your family is gorgeous! God is good!

(((BIG HUGS!)))
Amy:)

Rainbow dreams said...

I can relate, I get what you are saying, and for some reason I have a tear in my eye - must have hit a nerve :)(that's not a bad thing - just a reaction)
It has something to do with us not being able to change someone elses behaviour, we can only change our own, and that although we can't choose how something or someone makes us feel we can choose how we react to that person...
thank you for sharing this here , Katie

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Thinking about something that I need to explore deeply...maybe I'll share sometime. Meanwhile, thank God for his never failing grace and mercy for you and for all of us!

Beth in NC said...

Hello my friend. We have a lot in common. In my past, I could EASILY write someone off my list and act as if they never existed. Yes, a deception of self-preservation, but really we push the wound even further down. Sigh.

It took something very traumatic within my church family to shake my foundation and force me to face my heart with eyes wide open.

I am grateful that He is faithful! He loves you and is leading you step by step! You are not alone.

((((((you))))))

Many blessings,
Beth

diane b said...

You have a talent for sharing your feelings and bravery. I hope you find what you are seeking.I have had a hurtful, traumatic past and although I have felt flawed, I have tried to use these experiences to make me a stronger person and with the love of my family I now feel good.

Denise said...

I hear you too, and I think most everyone can relate. Thank you for sharing your heart with us. It's very inspiring. God bless you!
Denise

much2ponder said...

Amy...thanks again for stopping by and giving me encouragement. That picture at the bottom of the post is from when my daughter got married two years ago.

RD...you are so right about us only being able to change our own behavior. Those people in our lives who have hurt us, usually have no idea the amount of pain they caused. We need to forgive in the process in order to be truly free, but that is much easier said than done.

SO...yes, I am forever thankful for the Lord's unending love, mercy and grace. If not for that, who knows were any of us would be.

Beth...I like what you said here,
"It took something very traumatic within my church family to shake my foundation and force me to face my heart with eyes wide open." I realize the impact of what the experiences I have encountered have just begun to make sense after all this time. God knows and I am trusting him with the outcome.

Diane...thank you for your compliment. I appreciate your sharing as well. It is true we all have pain and baggage that we must sort through and deal with if we will ever be free of it. Many things I just needed to let go of and I feel much peace because of this.

Denise...thanks for showing up here. as I said to Diane, we all have pain and baggage, etc. It's what we choose to do with it that matters, right?

Debbie Petras said...

I think each one of us has that desire within to be loved. And so often, we get disappointed by people who may not respond as we like. You seem to be a very caring person. Even the type of work that you do requires someone who is willing to love even the seemingly unlovely. But when you look at people through Jesus' eyes, they look different.

I am originally from NY too. However, I grew up on Long Island and went to nursing school in Westchester County. But I've been gone for some time now as I've lived in Arizona for 25 years.

I also wanted to thank you for visiting Heart Choices. I hope to get to know you better through our blogs.

much2ponder said...

Debbie...thanks for stopping over, this post is something that is added to a number of posts over time. You are coming in actually near the end. I appreciate your insight. If you ever have time I would love for you to explore some of my earlier, related posts from the past year. Thanks again fellow New Yorker:)