Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Getting on with it...

(This is the second part and the last part will be added soon)

Christians, at least the groups I have been involved with seem to nurture the idea of getting rid of less desirable traits and replacing them with more positive ones. That is not such a bad idea really. We are told that we are on a journey and that we are in the process of becoming more like Christ. Do we need to be like Christ to be closer to God? In reality, I believe the answer to that question is a resounding no.

I don't believe I am any more like Christ today than I was 10 years ago. If I were becoming more like Christ, it would seem the way I deal with life's issues would also be like Christ. I would not get so irritated with people or want so much for them to see things my way. I would be much softer spoken and spend a great deal of my time listening with my heart instead of allowing my roots of pain and rejection to color my perceptions.

One question I asked people of faith concerning parts of my personality that seemed wrong or "Not Christ Like" was, " What if the Lord gave me this issue and wants me to use it in some way to glorify him? I recall thinking that perhaps what is perceived by some as a negative trait could be something all together different to God. The idea that I needed to change the person I was to be more in line with what God wanted of me was in question. To me I was getting mixed messages.

On one hand I was told that the Lord was doing a work in me and that he had a plan for my life. I became hopeful that perhaps he was going to mend and put back together the missing pieces of my life from the years of abuse and neglect. I began to believe he would heal my heart completely. I was also taught that as I grew in my measure of obedience to Him my relationship with God would deepen. I listened and functioned out of my hope for renewal and a life that I believed should have been, rather than the one that was.

As I began to seek God and his view of me, my understanding began to change. My eyes were opened to God's grace and how much he has done for me already. I began to feel he loved me even with all my imperfections. These two perceptions lived parallel inside of me. They crossed paths here and there, yet never seemed to intersect completely. I was receiving two conflicting messages.

Today I question the many things I was taught early on. My thoughts turn to a new understanding of who God is versus who people say God is. Why I would need to change so much the person that I really am, when God is said to love me as I am. My search for answers led me to a new understanding of what the reality of my life was and forced me to make some tough decisions regarding my faith and my religious beliefs.

Professing to be a Christian and being in true relationship with God are two different things. Living my life with the expectation that I needed to change and noting all my imperfections was exhausting. My walk with the Lord had become driven by meeting the expectations of other believers. It seemed to me that if I was doing the right things, reacting in the proper ways in an outward form, I could be seen as a person who is growing in the Lord. My sights were set on trying to fit the norm, but what I found were walls that were closing in all around me. I felt as though living as a "Christian" was suppressing the essence of the person that I am. No matter what I did, I was unable to conform to the degree expected.

Growing is a word that was used a lot in my Christian experience, but today I ask the question, On who's estimation of growth will we base our progress? The mold that seems to signify Christian maturity is a standard dreamed up by man, not God. After many failed attempts at meeting this sort of "invisible ideal" I realize there is no possible way for me to fit the mold. Trying to conform to a life that represents Christian maturity was not only difficult, but impossible. The thought that my walk and level of maturity toward understanding the Lord would be based on people's perceptions and not God's almost drove me to insanity.

The problem more than anything was the conflicting feelings I was dealing with in my efforts to be someone people expected me to be rather than accepting myself as the Lord does; as I am. Looking inside myself and embracing my own individuality, flaws and all, has given me a sense of freedom and peace. I have decided to make the Lord's view of me and his Love for the person that I am, my new pursuit. My focus is not on someone else's idea of what it means to be a Christian. I must be true to myself in my process of being true to God. I will not be someone else or try to change myself to meet the view and judgment of another person. I have to embrace my traits good and bad and be the person I was intended to be because anything else would be a severe injustice to my very being.

Does it really say in the Bible that we are to become more Christ like? I recall Jesus saying, "Follow me" but I don't think he was saying become me. That would contradict the fact that we are all individuals who bring something unique to the body of believers as a whole. Combined as believers in the universal body is what most closely simulates who Christ is in us. That is one reason why we need one another and are not meant to be autonomous in our worship. We each bring something of value that no one else can bring to the table. When we bring what we have to offer in a spirit of gratitude and acceptance, we are able to love others. It is only when we accept ourselves as we truly are that we can accept others as they truly are.

Looking at reality through my own eyes has had striking results!

The new questions I have been asking myself are these:
What does God REALLY expect from me?
What do I expect from myself?
Does my view of myself match God's view of me?
Who am I really, instead of who should I be?

Finding God
Finding me
On my way to total freedom in Christ
His GRACE is sufficient!

18 comments:

Iris Godfrey said...

Love the new picture of you! You are beginning to "see" His desire in the "blended" person of you and Him. He doesn't want to get rid of us, nor can we get rid of ourselves (emptying????). Instead His grace is all about His treasuring us and His joy in our being with Him. Our relationship with Him in grace is so much more than we have ever dreamed. You are "seeing" in your heart some precious truths. Thank you for sharing them.

Beth in NC said...

Hi Sweetie,

You really poured out some deep soul searching stuff here. :o) I agree that God created us all as individuals. We all have our own gifts, talents, and flavors. We make a beautiful tapestry when we walk side by side.

You are beautiful and I have no doubt that God will use everything in your life. I know He has done that with me. Each trial, wound, hurt, VICTORY has made me who I am today.

You are a precious child of God full of your own flavor! Love who you are and continue to love your God.

Bless you!
Beth

Linda S. Socha said...

Lovely post...Great photo.....Interesting concept that I am thinking of and can see the merits
'Linda

much2ponder said...

Iris...I believe you are correct, but I don't think I am at the beginning. Some place in the middle. You might have missed my last post. This new understaning has been in the works well over 3 years.

Beth...self acceptance is the key here. I feel that when we come to the Lord feeling we need to jump in with both feet and become the person we or others "think" we should be, we totally miss the reality of his grace and mercy which helps us to love ourselves just as he does. Our true self will surface and it will change as we grow more and more in the understanding of his view of us and we allow ourselves to actually believe we are loved and lovable. God is good!

Linda...thanks for stopping by again. I look forward to getting to know you better.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

I love what you said about all of us together showing Christ to the world...wow! I'm going to remember that.

As for being "Christlike" I suppose that comes from Romans 8:29"For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren."

But if we put this in the context of Romans 8...well lots to ponder as to wheter this is speaking of individuals or of the entire Body. Hmmmm...

As for "Growing is a word that was used a lot in my Christian experience, but today I ask the question, On who's estimation of growth will we base our progress?"

Good question! God's. Only God's. As for how to discover what God's view is...perhaps the only way would be time spent in our Savior's presence. I'm wondering about that.

I should get off my computer and do just that, I expect.

And just want to add, I am so sorry for mixed messages I probably sent. Is it possible to avoid them without putting caveats on everything? That is an issue I've struggled with for a long time--and am concerned about every time I get up to speak!

(((Hugs)))

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Forgot to tell you I gave you an award over at my place.

Iris Godfrey said...

I understand the journey and I have been reading your posts and know it has been over some time. However, I am finding that no matter what journey I am on, in the Lord, it is only the beginning of what will unfold -- for it really never ends with me in Him.
I did not in any way intend to make light of what you have already traveled. On my part, even at this age, I am only beginning to "see."
Bless you!

Amy said...

I feel as if I could have written this post myself too. Your words are so encouraging to me this morning. (I wish we could meet for coffee.) :) I have been reading a book by Donna Partow called "Soon to be a Major Motion Picture." And it is helping me so much with my "perspective" too. I not only need to see "others" through the eyes of Christ, but I need to extend that same grace to myself. And that is not something that I have been in the habit of doing.

Your new blog picture is beautiful, by the way. Your inner beauty shines in your eyes as well.:)

Thanks for encouraging me this day!

God Bless,
Amy:)

much2ponder said...

SO...thank you:)

Iris...not to worry, I did not take it personal in any way. I value your opinion very much. I was just clarifying. You bless me so much!

Amy! I would so love to meet with you for coffee, Ha! I do not believe we live very close together. As far as I know there is no place around here called "Crazyville". Maybe some day we can make a plan, eh?

Gilly said...

such a deep, thoughtful post. You put into words things I have been thinking for some time. I'm struggling right now to find what I truly believe Yes, I do believe in God, but I believe he is so much, much, bigger than we can ever imagine or grasp. And then I wonder where I fit in, and my head gets spinning. Grasping both ends of the whole picture is impossible! And there isn't much time left in my life to sort it all out. Where does that leave me?

J Pearson said...

A tree gives glory to God by being a tree, because that's what a tree is created to be. Be who you are as God created you, with your beautiful family and life as it is; then you will give glory to God.
Let's not quote scripture and try to be too much like Christ, hec, life is tough enough.
By the way - what have you done to your blog, very girly; but that's ok..

J Pearson said...

The comment about the blog - I mixed it up with another blog; sorry. Must be my age!

much2ponder said...

Gilly...you seem like such a sweet lady. If you are really looking for the answer to your question, my only thought for you is that the Love you have shared, are sharing now and will continue to share are all a part of the answer. You are a blessing to many:)

Brother David...thanks for stopping by and leaving words of encouragement. That meant a lot to me. As far as that blog comment, it would be ok even if it was meant for me because you are correct...it is "very girly". I'm ok with it because it is true.

Gilly said...

Your remarks about what others tell us we "should" be really struck a chord. I have been prayed over so many times asking God to "make me the person he planned for me to be" and all that resulted wass the original me, only confused, struggling and really hanging onto my faith by my finger nails!

But having tried for so long (and with a history in the past which hasn't helped) I am wondering who I really am! Not long to decide, either. I think I'll just take it as it comes!

But thanks so much for your blog, M2P - it has helped me a lot. X

Anonymous said...

this post is brilliant

thank you

mmpx

much2ponder said...

mmp, so glad you stopped by, I've been missing you;)

Nikita said...

Hello there, thank you for popping by to my blog.
I love your 'space'.. very pretty too!
Your words? Well I don't claim to have known you for very long at all but I think these fit...
wholesome
gracious
nurturing

awareness said...

I love the words Niki left you! So true!!

What a great journey it is eh? Lots to "ponder"....big stretching challenges too. Let it all unfold as it should. :)