Sunday, January 04, 2009

New Beginnings


I am not one to make resolutions in the New Year, but I am one who believes the Lord gives us new beginnings whenever we decide to take Him up on the offer.

New Years day I began reading in Leta's (the women I wrote about in my last post) devotional which was given to me as a treasured token of her love by her daughter and my close friend SingingOwl. As I opened up to the first devotional for the year, I thought to myself, "I wonder what the Lord might want to speak to my heart today". I was pleasantly surprised; not because of the content of the devotional, but it was the scripture listed at the bottom of the first one that struck me. I wrote each one out as I realized the verses were giving me a wonderful way to begin again in 2009.

With each passage I read, it became increasingly clear to me that there was something I needed to do as words of action and decision making on my part kept running through my mind. As I began to absorb the words that I was reading I understood the scripture verses to be similar to a springboard that could propel me into 2009 with a renewed sense of hope for the Lord's purposes to be fulfilled in and with my life.

A
s I read the scripture verses my heart was filled with an attitude of apprehension, but at the same time there was a distinct feeling of anticipation for what might transpire should I follow my heart and take responsibility for my own part in this walk with the Lord. My heart became a little lighter as I began to face that fact that I can no longer be passive in my walk with the Lord as I have been for the past two and a half years. Even I am tired of the excuses I have used to stay in the wretched place I have been in. In a way the words I was reading were giving me that long awaited slap upside the head I needed in order to stop waiting for God and his Grace to land on me. It's time to pull up my big girl panties and move forward.

Below I have posted the scripture verses I speak of along with the list of my interpretation for taking action in 2009.

Philipians 3:13

No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.

I Corinthans 9:24

Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize.


Hebrews 12:1-2
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne.

Heb. 12:11-13
No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening—it’s painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way. So take a new grip with your tired hands and strengthen your weak knees. Mark out a straight path for your feet so that those who are weak and lame will not fall but become strong.

Phil. 3:13
  • Focus--on this one thing
  • Forget--the past
  • Look--forward to what lies ahead
  • Press on--to reach the end of the race
  • Receive--the heavenly prize
1 Cor. 9:24
  • Run--to win
  • Discipline--self like an athlete
  • Run--with purpose in every step
  • Train--self to do what I should
Heb. 12:1-2
  • Strip off every weight that slows me down (sin)
  • Run with endurance the race God has set before me
  • Keep my eyes on the one who initiates and perfects my faith
  • Think of what Jesus went through
  • Remember the encouragement spoken to me as a child of God
Heb. 12:11-13
  • Don't make light of the Lord's discipline
  • Don't give up when he corrects me
  • Accept the lord's discipline as an act of love
  • Submit to the discipline of the Father
  • Accept the lord's discipline as good
  • Learn from the pain that accompanies God's discipline in order to live out the peaceful harvest of right living that follows
  • Grip with my tired hands and stand strong
  • Mark out a straight path for my feet
Sounds like a lot doesn't it? In reality I believe all I really need to do is spend more time in His presence and in His Word and learn more about who He is in relationship with me and who I am through his eyes. If I get back to the place where I truly want to make my life count for him and I am allowing him to lead me...these actions above will be possible. The only time they are not possible is when I choose, as I have for some time now, not to pay attention to what is in His heart concerning me and this life He has gifted me with. It's time to give back and this is a good time for a new beginning.





10 comments:

Beth in NC said...

Those are wonderful scriptures and I love that God used Leta (in a way) to give you a plan of action for 2009. Beautiful!

Love,
Beth

Amy said...

I heart new beginnings!
One of my (and Shannon's) favorite verses is about that very same thing.

2 Corinthians 5:17
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"

Amen?:)

Happy New Year to you!
God Bless,
Amy:)

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Well, this makes me glad I gave the devotion book to you, dear one.

Angela Baylis said...

It does sound like a lot, but it is really simple as you say. Your post gave me a much needed boost! I feel as if you were my coach this morning to get a move on! Thanks for sharing your excitement and for encouraging me!
Love,
Angie xoxo

Beth in NC said...

Hello Beautiful Heart! You are the recipient of an award on my blog. Come receive your prize. :o)

Love!
Beth

Iris Godfrey said...

I think that until we move, we do not experience grace, forgiveness etc... All the goodness ofoour Lord is always surrounding us, but until we choose to move, we do not sense its reality.

It is is like worship -- until we choose to involve ourselves in its action we do not know its vibrancy. All the power and goodness wait for us.

See how much He loves you! He delights to wait, if that is what you choose to do, but you will be happier and more aware of Him when you choose to move with Him.

You do this already -- I read it in your posts. Just keep the motion -- in spite of -- whatever. It is your dance -- He has saved it for you.

much2ponder said...

Beth...Thanks for your your encouragement and support. Seeing you here always makes me smile:)I will have to take a look on your site. Thanks so much for thinking of me.

Amy...I love that verse too!

SingingOwl...having you in my life add so much good to my life. I am thankful for our friendship.

Ang...it is you that encourages me. Your words always lift me up.

Iris...your words bring something very special to my heart today. I am so glad I have met you in the blogging world. You are a blessing to me in more ways than you know:)

lil kiss said...

Thank you for sharing this. God is helping me see who I really am as a child of God. He is helping me realize that I need to keep moving forward to him no matter the problem. I know in the end if I do I will become a more mature Christian and I will be blessed for it. It's amazing all that God has for me to learn about him. I love how he pops something in our minds that we can be in awe about and then share it with others. I love you!

Paula V said...

Wonderful scriptures and so beautifully placed together. What a wonderful theme running through them all: RUN...run to win, run with a purpose, run with endurance. It's probably much like a runner...it can be difficult during the run but when it is finished...oh the reward of accomplishing the run.

I am not a runner but I have always been envious of those who are runners at heart. I've always wanted to be. I may never be a physical runner but I am definitely running a race with the Lord leading me.

Thanks for these scriptures and for the breakdown of what you took from them.
Love,
Paula

Anonymous said...

I love that picture, thanks for the thoughts.