Saturday, August 01, 2009

A Dog named TED!

Hello everyone. I pray all is well with those of you who bless me by stopping by. Today I am thinking it is time to share a little bit about our other dog. We have shared much about the Chihuahuas, but have said very little about Ted. above note the picture with the three of them. The little ones adopted Ted as kind of a big brother and he has been so gentle and sweet with both of them.


Ted is a our four year old Chocolate Lab. We found him at a yard-sale when he was about 8 weeks old. He and his brother were the last two of the litter. I will never forget my first sight of him, looking up at me through the bars of a cage with his big sad eyes. He was just adorable. We left that yard-sale without him, but the thought of his sweet face stayed in my mind for days.

About a week later Ray and I took a walk and saw that the puppies were still there in the same battered cage. We stopped and spent a few minutes playing with them. I paid close attention to their personalities because we knew we did not want an extremely energetic dog. That is a road we had traveled in the past and we were not willing to revisit it. When the cage door was opened one of them was very excited and seemed to have a lot of energy, while the other seemed a bit slower to move and even lethargic. I wondered if maybe something was wrong with him, but in playing with him found that he was playful, but in a more gentle and loving way.

We adopted the calmer of the two that day and to this very day Ted, (Ted E. Bear) has stayed true to the picture he first showed us. We went through some potty training trials, dog at large incidents and there was the stretch of time where teething was an issue, but in all actuality he is the best dog we've have ever owned. By about age 2 we realized he had become a pretty wonderful dog.

He loves to be wherever we are. Maybe that is because he thinks he is one of us. Ted E. Bear, AKA Brown-dog, is a true and loyal companion. I love my big brown dog.

10 comments:

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

I love Ted! He is indeed a big, sweet, Ted E. Bear. I remember when you first got him and brought him over -- and he waddled under a chair on our deck and fell fast asleep. The picture of you two is wonderful!

much2ponder said...

Thanks SO, you are being thought of with a smile this afternoon. I miss you. I miss how things used to be and wonder how they will be from here.

Phivos Nicolaides said...

So cute! Reminds of our "Buddie" labrador!!

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Oh how my heart breaks. A few weeks ago we had to put down out black lab as his heart failure was getting the best of him. He had been dumped on our property 4 years ago. I ignored him for a week and then feel in love with him. I don't regret it at all. I miss him. Labs are just the best dogs!!

Enjoy your pets!!

In His Graces~Pamela

much2ponder said...

Phivos...thanks for stopping by again. Good to see you.

Pamela... I am so sorry to hear about your dog. You are right Labs are the best dogs!

Anonymous said...

He is precious. Bless you for taking him and allowing him to love-up on you. I too love labs -- can't have them due to allergies, but they are so very sweet.

diane b said...

He is adorable and a wonderful breed, one of my favourites. He looks like a great companion

much2ponder said...

Iris...thank you for popping over her. I know not much heavy stuff to talk about these days, but the Lord is at work...know that, right?

Diane...good to see you, I need to come over to your place and see what you have going on.

Gilly said...

What an adorable dog! I think I might have bought both puppies!!

We are on our third dog, sort of rescue dog as he came from my ex son-in-law when he went to New York. He's a bit of a prblem at the moment, but I'm sure we will find the answer. His one aim in life is to find FOOD!

Lovely photo of you and Ted!

I do the Henderson Hop! said...

Thank you Gilly for you kind words. Just want to let you know I have not forgotten you, just been off the blogging path for a little while. It is hard to find the time these days, but I suspect with the season change my blogging habits will change as well.