Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Relational Prayer


It seems I have been running into several reminders lately about prayer and the power of prayer, but not just the power of prayer, more importantly, my need of prayer.

This has me reflecting on an earlier time in my life when prayer seemed to come to me rather easily. It used to be that words would fill my mouth with little thought and my heart would be touched in ways I can't even describe. Today things are different because of circumstances I won't go into here. I have learned to accept that my prayer life has changed. I am coming to terms with the fact that prayer was something I took for granted when the words would so readily flow from a soft place in my heart and spirit.

Today I make the decision to be deliberate in making sure I am keeping this vital part of my life alive. Though I have been waiting for a touch from the Lord in this area, I realize now that it will not likely happen naturally; at least not as quickly as I had hoped;). Prayer for me is no longer attached to my feelings. In fact I rarely feel anything at all when I pray. My prayer life is now based on knowing and believing that God is who He says he is. Perhaps that as it is meant to be. One thing I know is that there is life in understanding the heart of the Father and the only way I know how to get a glimpse of his heart is though relational prayer.

Below you will find my quote for today on prayer. I hope it makes you think, at least a little bit. Won't you join me in my journey as I choose to pray with purpose, on purpose, for God's purposes? He is Faithful, Amen? Amen!


"You can do more than pray after you have prayed, but you cannot do more than pray until you have prayed."


A. J. Gordon

20 comments:

Paula V said...

I like that quote. I don't think we could ever pray enough. It's easy to take it for granted and not see the HUGE value in it. I know I do.

Tea with Tiffany said...

I love to pray. There's nothing better than gathering with others to cry out to God and praise Him and lay our burdens down.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Yes, it's the one Lisa Shaw went to. She's even sweeter in person.

Hugs from Colorado,

Tiffany

much2ponder said...

Paula... you bless me once again with your kind words. Thanks for stopping by.

TWT...glad to have you over. Thanks for reading my post. You say you are from Colorado. Small world. My son Andrew lives in Colorado also. He is a children's church pastor at an AG church there. Blessings on you sister.

Anonymous said...

Good post. Glad you are continuing to "press through." He does so honor faithfulness in such things.

Blessing you and praying!

much2ponder said...

Iris...so good to see you. It has been a while, but I understand you are busy. I miss you just the same.

~*Michelle*~ said...

I love this.....and I love your honesty.

I just started feeling convicted on this same subject. I was not giving God His sacred portion of my time....I am trying to make sure He is the first thing on my mind in the morning and give Him my first fruits, so to speak, but spending even 15-20 minutes in the Word. So far, so good!

Happy He led me here today. :)

bluedreamer27 said...

i have prove that prayer is very useful
we did a non stop praying when Typhoon "Ondoy" attacks the Philippines. And Thanks God we're all safe.
Prayer is really a helpful tool to communicate with God
thanks for sharing pat
have a great day and God Bless
BLUEDREAMER

much2ponder said...

Michelle...your words bless my heart this morning. Thank you so much for stopping by. I left a comment on your blog, but it is the Isaiah blog because I couldn't find a place to leave a comment on your other one. I also send you an e-mail. Have a blessed day;)

Bluedreamer...hello once again. Good to see you this fine morning. Hope all is well in your corner of the world. I popped over to your blog and read a bit of your thoughts. You inspire me:)

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Perhaps God is something more complicated than what, we, the weak people believe. Praying however is a powerful thing as long as we do not practicing it for the sake of asking only favors for ourselves...

much2ponder said...

Phivos...thank you for your comment. What I am talking about in my post has more to do with relationship with the Lord and praying as a means of communication. Not to get things or favors. It is about building my relationship through sharing my heart with the Lord and perhaps gaining some of his heart in the process. God is good.

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Since I believe that God is ourselves, God is in our souls and minds, I'm trying hard to be a good and a useful person in the society, than siply a good Christian. God is everywhere and for everyone on the Earth. I don't believe Lord is distinguishing some belivers and discriminating some others.

much2ponder said...

Pivos...thank you for coming back. I am speaking of my experience personally and I am glad you are sharing your experience personally as well. I'm sure we both agree that the Lord is way more than we humans can wrap our brains around and his love runs deep and wide. In my prayer life I feel I gain understanding to some degree of his love for all people everywhere.

I do enjoy my times with him in payer, but I must agree he touches my life in many other ways as well. Thank you for sharing so openly. Blessings my friend.

Anonymous said...

I remember reading a quote once that said that we must love God, not only for the gifts He gives us but learn to love Him for His own sake.

Love you.

much2ponder said...

I Hope...thanks so much for stopping by. It has been a long time since I've seen you here and it is a pleasant surprise. Hope you are doing well. Love to you.

Gilly said...

Prayer for me at the moment is impossible. Too many doubts, too many questions. Mostly starting with "Why?"

But I am sure it is a good quote for those who can pray.

much2ponder said...

(((((Gilly)))))I have been there my friend and if not for friends praying me through I would likely still be there. I will keep you in my prayers daily.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

My prayers are short these days. I hope it will not be too long before I too can "press through" as Iris says. Not now...so I am waiting and knowing God loves me even when I do not know how to talk to him.

much2ponder said...

SO...sometimes we just do what we know is right and know that he is at work. I understand pretty close to completely. I think.

Anonymous said...

I inclination not acquiesce in on it. I think precise post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to read the whole story.

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.