Saturday, December 05, 2009

The Path I Had Feared to See

"Many people want to direct God, instead of resigning themselves to be directed by Him: to show Him a way, instead of passively following where He leads" ~Madam Guyon


I said: "Let me walk in the field";
God said: "Nay, walk in the town";
I said: "there are no flowers there";
He said: "No flowers, but a crown."

I said: "But the sky is black,
There is nothing but noise and din" ;
But He wept as He sent me back,
"There is more," He said, "There is sin."

I said: "But the air is thick,
And fogs are veiling the sun";
He answered; "Yet souls are sick,
And souls in the dark undone."

I said: "I shall miss the light,
And friends will miss me, they say";
He answered me, "Choose tonight,
If I am to miss you, or they."

I pleaded for time to be given;
He said: "Is it hard to decide?
It will not seem hard in Heaven
To have followed the steps of your Guide."

I cast one look a the fields,
Then set my face to the town;
He said: "My child, do you yield?
Will you leave the flowers for the crown?"

Then into His hand went mine,
And into my heart came He;
And I walk in the light Divine,
The path I had feared to see.

~George MacDonald

10 comments:

LisaShaw said...

Hi precious friend. I appreciate you sharing this with us today.

Love and hugs.

bluedreamer27 said...

Most of us are afraid of Death.. but we must accept the fact that we will all face it no matter what...
Live life to the fullest and do all your best to serve God while you're living!

happy blogging pat!

Feed Your Mind said...

by the way Pat i have something for you in my site
its a friendship award.. i don't know if you're participating in this kind of blogging activities but i want to thank you for being one of my friends here in the blogosphere..
here's the link
FEED YOUR MIND
happy blogging

Marites said...

hi, i saw you in one of bluedreamer's blog and we both received an award.. Congrats!
it's nice to be here in your blog... hope we could be friends too!
happy Sunday!

much2ponder said...

Lisa...hi! Thank you for you kind words, been having a bit of trouble with someone posting adds on my blog so I have not been on much.

Bluedreamer...you are always a welcome face here;)

Feed Your Mind...I know that's you bluedreamer. Glad to have you and thanks for the award! You are a good blogging friend also.

Marites...I'm glad you stopped by. I will need to spend a bit of time reading over at you place.

Gilly said...

A beautiful poem - very thought-provoking.

much2ponder said...

HI Gilly!

AutoDT said...

Beautifully expressed!!!:)

Thank you!

Cyrus

Anonymous said...

It is true - there is a cry in the city. He is its answer.
Bless you Friend.

LisaShaw said...

Pat, I came by to say Merry CHRISTmas and blessed New Year to you and your family dear sister.

Love and hugs.