Do You Have a Mentor?
I hope the answer to that question is yes, but if you do not have a mentor there is still time. I did not meet my mentor until I was 40 years old. I have been blessed by having this person in my life and if it had not been for her ability to love me through some very difficult things, who knows where I might be. God is so awesome in his timing. He saves us just in time and he also gives us provision just in time . I love that about him.
Mentoring Happens Naturally
My mentor was mentoring me before she even knew it. She gave freely of her time, love and worked through some tough issues with me when it seemed no one else would. Our relationship seemed to go in the direction it did pretty much naturally. Over the 6+ years that I have known her, our lives have mixed and meshed to the degree where I can honestly say I am closer to her than I am to any person I have ever known.
Mentors Leave Room for Growth
Add the fact that she knows almost everything there is to know about me, and gives me room to grow, her ability to love me even when I am not easy to love. (I know it’s hard to believe, but there are times when I am hard to love) My mentor has stuck with me through it all and continues to say to me, “I will be here for you should you need me”. What kind of person is willing to put themselves out there for another who is not even a blood relative? I think maybe I can answer that question. It is the kind of person who has spent her entire adult life seeking the live a life in tune with the heart of God.
We Don’t Choose Our Mentor, God Does
A true mentor is a person who gives freely of his/her life, not because they feel they need to mentor, but because they feel that each relationship that has been given to them has a considerable purpose. Consider the number of people who have come in and out of your life. There are probably more than you can count. Each encounter with a person was meant for a purpose. Some relationships are in our lives to teach us, some we are meant to teach, but with most relationships both people benefit in knowing one another.
The Value of One Life Living Alongside Another
The best thing about mentoring another person is how naturally it can happen. I have found that in paying attention to the people the Lord has put in my life and living my life alongside them, I am actually giving back a portion of what was given to me. Because of the influence of a mentor in my life I have come to understand that one of the most important things I can do now is to be willing to mentor the next generation.
The Importance of Encouraging Young Women
I feel very strongly the importance of encouraging young women, not because of what they can do, but because of who they are. The most valuable gift I can give the young women in my life is to support them and recognize the ability of God to work in their lives. I have come to understand that people basically suffer the same human condition, the need to be loved and understood on a deep level. With the Lords love it is possible to fill that need, one person at a time.


2 comments:
I find it pretty wonderful that you took what you were given and now are using it to mentor others.
Do you think God always sends us those people? I don't know.
Perhaps it depends on what kind of mentoring is needed? There was no one in my life who ever really came close to a mentor (except my sister who was mostly just loving me unconditionally!) but there were people who I watched and learned from along the way.
Or perhaps mine hasn't arrived yet!
Thank you for being who you are. All I ever wanted to do was help that person shine more and more. :-)
Post a Comment