Wednesday, June 25, 2008


EXPAND MY VIEW LORD Part 3

I am a take charge kind of person. When I see something that needs doing I do it! When I see something that isn’t right, I fix it! When things in my life aren’t changing as quickly as I would like I usually do something to speed things up. Now—I don’t sit around thinking of ways to do this, it just kind of happens naturally; out of the natural human in me. I am weak at times and I allow my flesh to take over. This comes mostly from years of experience in doing things my own way.


My ability to deal with life in a direct and controlled manner has gotten me pretty far in some respects. On the job I do very well, whatever I am working on I usually do well, even in the church, I can do fairly well those things I put my hands and mind to. This directness and take charge attitude is not so useful however, when it comes to relationships. Dealing with people does not come naturally to me. I do need to make a conscious effort when it comes to relationships.


Kind of a running joke I have with a friend of mine is “doing the work of the Lord would be so much easier if is not for all these people”. Funny? Not really. Without people there would be no need. But the fact of the matter is the most difficult areas of my life include other people. God intended us to be in relationship with people and we are to LOVE people. This is no easy thing. I often ask the Lord why this has to be so difficult.


A couple of days ago while reading Galatians I ran across the scripture about Abraham and Sarah. (Gal. 4:21-31) God made a promise to them that they would have many children, but because it wasn’t happening fast enough, Sarah took matters into her own hands. Sarah was trying to fulfill God’s plan; BIG mistake. Under Sarah’s direction Hagar (the slave girl) had Abraham’s child Ishmael, later Sarah finally found herself pregnant with Isaac. Sarah’s fulfillment of God’s plan caused problems and people were hurt by the result, but it did not stop God’s plan from coming to fruition.


Basically I do the same thing as Sarah, whenever I choose to take control instead of wait for God’s plan to unfold naturally. I pray asking the Lord to take care of an issue, but when it seems nothing is happening I begin to reason in my own mind about what should happen. I usually argue with myself about weather or not I should go through with my plan, but before long I have found a rational reason to fulfill it. I can talk myself into almost anything if I spend enough time looking at all the angles from my own perspective.


Once I have acted on my thoughts and feelings, it doesn’t take long for me to realize what has actually happened, but then I sit in remorse and try to make things right with God and with those who may have been effected by my decision. I realize I serve a God who is merciful, loving and kind and his plan is still with me. My actions always have consequences, but the blessings of God bring me out of my wretched life into the light again and hopefully I learn from my immaturity and perhaps grow a little.


My prayer when I've taken matters into my own hands is that my mistake would not be for nothing; that I will forgive myself just as the Lord already has and I will learn something valuable in the process. The Lord’s plan still stands for my life, just as they did for Abraham and Sara. I have to believe that.

WHY this need to control? Coming up next...

2 comments:

Paula V said...

Yes, the Lord's plan still stands just as with Sarah. She did give birth...she waited 25 years but He still fulfilled His plan. Do you ever wonder if she had obeyed and waited on God that she wouldn't have had to wait so long to bear her own children. I think that can be ONE of the consequences of us jumping ahead and not waiting on God. We can move forward and that can mess up God's plan and timeline which will require Him to "rework" things thus causing a delay. I really believe this. It's not that He can move things along the original line but there are consequences to our actions. It could be that something we do causes a domino effect and there it delays the movement/growth of someone else. I hope that makes sense. I believe we can actually step in and cause delays in the lives of others which would cause a delay in our lives. Maybe an example would be better.

I, too, feel that relationships are my biggest struggle. We humans are very complex people, many of which do not communicate well and causes all kinds of confusion, chaos, and turmoil. I tried to keep my "hand" on a certain relationship/person. I believe that God was still working in that person's life because he is a child of God and nothing I do would cause God to desire His child to return to His path of obedience. HOWEVER, I did 100% remove my hand from this situation/relationship a month ago and I believe that release God's full power to really begin a mighty work in this person. I believe this act of mine to release my hand in the mix also signaled to God that I'm allowing HIM to do the work. I'm trusting HIM to convict, heal, restore this person. So, the work is two-fold: an act of trust on my part and then His divine intervention in the life of His other child (this person). It is very liberating to let go truly. I remember the day a month ago when I said "Okay God. I understand. I let go and realize that YOU have to do this."

Blessings,
Paula

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Not only do you always provide something to "chew" on, you find the most wonderful pictures! I don't know how you do that. :-)