Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Ok, just one more picture from Jeremy's wedding day. This is a picture of me with two of my favorite girls. One is my granddaughter Olivia and the other is my good friend Tara, AKA little red. I'm sure you can see why I call her little red.

Tara is the one I posted about a while back when she was on a mission trip in Africa. I missed her so much when she was gone, but I believe the Lord used her in some pretty profound ways so I can deal with the separation. Though it seemed she was gone for a very long time, I feel blessed by the time I am able to spend with her now and the stories she tells of how her heart was enlarged for people she never knew existed give me so much desire to continue to hope for the men I work with each day at the prison. Tara talked about how she had prayed for the Lord to soften her heart and give her compassion and as she spoke with a tiny tear in her eye, I could visibly see a change in her spirit.

I too have been praying for the Lord to soften my heart so I am better equipped to do whatever it is he expects from me. I have to admit I have been growing weary. Sometimes it can be so hard to be in the prison setting. It seems I go in with a lot of energy and a good attitude, but by the time I leave at the end of the day, I am a different person. The oppression in that place seems so heavy and it weighs me down as the day goes on. My attitude was starting to show how this was touching my life in negative ways.

Although we are all licensed teachers with the same credentials as those who work in the public school, we are not treated with the same respect from other staff (mainly security) at we should be. The reason is really quite simple. It's all about security. I took me quite some time to realize teachers here are really the little fish in the big pond and we are not appreciated as I had expected.


Coming to terms with the fact that I can't change anyone except myself has brought me to a new understand of what my role in the prison really is. I have been praying about this for months, feeling unappreciated and as thought my job didn't count for much, but now I realize that it simply not so. I know in my hart that I am not to pay attention to what other staff members think about what I am doing because I am put in this place at this time for reasons that I will likely never understand. I realize I am supposed to teach, but not only that, I am supposed to learn and I am open to learn whatever the Lord wants to teach me through this experience.

We are a school with 22 teachers, but we are in the middle of a medium secure prison for male inmates numbering between 1500 and 1800. We see a lot of those inmates as they come to the school building to use the library or the Gym, but the numbers that we educate are between 300 and 400. The students range in age from 16 to 99 so we have a pretty good mix. The students have lockers with locks just like a high school. We offer Adult Basic Education, (HSED) along with five different vocational trades in conjunction with a technical college. Higher level young students are also offered college credits through correspondence that is facilitated by one of our certified teachers as well.

I teach a class that I call Character Development and it is the highlight of my day. The best part is that I can teach it in ways that are comfortable for me. I teach it kind of like a mental health group with a lot of discussion and group work. The students seem to like it and I have been asked to create another similar class called Personal Development that will be designed to help the men set goals for re-entry into the general population. These classes are set up in such a way that I am able to work with students who seem to really want to make change in their lives and it can be very rewarding. There are some who take the class just to get off the unit or to give them something to do, but for the most part the men I teach really want to be there and the ones who don’t usually end up getting something out of it anyway.


So why did I question my validity in my employment? The reason is because I was questioning what I do based on what men expect not what God expects. The funny thing is I knew that all along, but I think my perspective is more in line with the Lords, at least for now. I pray it continue to grow in this direction. Praise the Lord.



7 comments:

Paula V said...

You'll never know the true impact you have on the lives of those incarcerated. I see it as a great witnessing field. These seem to be the folks who (presumably) need Jesus the most. You never know what they will see in your walk, your character, that will touch them in a way to truly make their lives better by calling upon the Lord who has changed you.

We who follow Jesus are a walking testimony and we never know what we do or don't do will impact another in the quietness of their hearts.

Have faith, my friend, that you are doing His good work by teaching those who are not only in a physical prison but most likely a spiritual prison.
Love,
Paula

About Nancy said...

Oh my I had no idea you were a teacher in prison. What a valuable and important job! I want to tell you that I have been battling with questions that prompt me to ask myself, "Why do I do what I do?" I see no apparent results and often feel discouraged.

As I've pondered these things, God has graciously placed many in my path who have been asking the same thing of their lives. As a result, I now see one common denominator in it all. Satan seeking to discourage God's children and the work He's called them to do. Your job is SO valuable it's no wonder the enemy is working hard on you.

I often pray for God to reach those in prison. I never dreamt in doing so I was also praying for you to carry this through.

May the Lord use you mightily in your job and may you touch the hearts and minds of those He wishes to restore!

Blessings!
Nancy

About Nancy said...

Hey, I forgot to tell you...I love your dress in this picture! Gorgeous!
Nancy

Under there... said...

I agree with Paula. You have no idea of the true impact you have simply by being who God made you to be in that time and place. I suspect that the people who have had the biggest impact on my life have absolutley no idea and I really do not know how to get hold of them to tell them now. We often only see those who God has used to shape us in restrospect as we reflect on those crucial turning points in our lives. You are surely being used by God as much as your friend Tara (she looks like she could be your sister-really) was in Africa. *Applause to Tara for her following Christ that way* What you said about coming to terms with the fact that you cannot fix anyone and then focusing on your own relationship with God is the key to really allowing the Spirit to work through us. I have been drawn back to that same lesson over and over in my life. May God continue to shine the Light through you and your riends and family!

Shannon said...

For me, part of the trick of working in prison is keeping my eyes open for the ways God is manifested in that place. I do my best work when I pay attention to what God is doing.

Archbishop Oscar Romero wrote a wonderful prayer that says, essentially, that we plant seeds that others will one day harvest, and that's what it means to work in the kingdom of God.

AnneDroid said...

"Sometimes it can be so hard to be in the prison setting. It seems I go in with a lot of energy and a good attitude, but by the time I leave at the end of the day, I am a different person. The oppression in that place seems so heavy and it weighs me down as the day goes on"... I know that feeling well. I guess it comes with prison ministry. I love my job but sometimes it drains the life out of me.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

It's all about security. Yep. Ken feels devalued on a constant basis.

But to God--it is NOT all about security!

Yay!

And some day you will see the eternal weight of love and care and professionalism you have shown! (((M2P)))