I had a severe check in my spirit about an old topic this morning as the words ran through my mind. "It's not how you serve Me in the church, but how you are serving Me in your life that matters." OUCH!
As I pondered this phrase I began to think about how much easier it is to behave like a kind and loving Christian when I am surrounded by others who by their very presence hold me accountable. In the Church there are certain perimeters that in case the role that we play. The accountability factor is much stronger because everyone there expects a certain measure of obedience to the Lord to be evident in our lives and naturally we fill that role because we want to be seen in a positive light.
I realized how easy it is for me to "Act like a Christian" while surrounded by other people who act like Christians. I know the right things to say; I know all the little Christian catch phrases and lingo that are so prevalent among my fellow believers; I can fill the role of a Christian woman rather nicely and portray myself as together, with understanding knowledge and maybe even a touch of wisdom, but the question I ask myself today is this...How important is all of that when it comes to spending time with non believers outside the church? What does God think of all of this?
As a new believer I used to think I was supposed to serve the Lord in some huge, important way and in my view it was going to take place within the comfort and safety of the church where I would find the encouragement, love and support necessary to serve to the best of my ability. I wanted to be the best Christian I could be and wanted others to believe I was a good Christian as well. Today my heart tells a different story as I have come to the realization that though my service for the Lord is of value in the church, it is more valuable to God outside of the church and if I am going to live my life as an authentic believer in Christ, I have to be serving him where he has placed me to serve on a daily basis.
The question "how are you serving Me in your daily life?" has me realizing once again the importance of living my life for Christ consistently. Even, or should I say especially when the accountability factor is not present. This means in my home; where I fall into the trap of seeking my own comfort or focus on pleasing my husband or my own wants instead of God's. What about in the work place where people are aware that I call myself a believer in Christ, yet I hide when my tolerance level is low? Do I show the love of Christ where it could make the most difference or more so when it comes easily?
Hmmm...things to ponder.
3 days ago



7 comments:
SO true! Ouch!
Wonderful things to ponder and a conviction I have had frequently in my life. The majority of the people in my church are "Sunday morning people only"-they come to one service and leave, they have done their part. The same people seem to be doing it all. My heart breaks as I so desire a sense of revival for our souls within this congrgration. We can't even get ladies to participate in our womens studies. I have stressed this point in the Sunday school class my husband and I lead but we are preaching to the chior for the most part there. We need this conviction in our heart daily!!
Thanks for sharing!
In His Graces~Pamela
Ouch! is right.....So many things to think about...I have wondered these things a lot lately....especially as a mother to two teenage boys...I want to be the best example I can be to them, and some days I feel like I get it right, and other days, I feel like I have fallen way short of the mark.
I am definitely a work in progress, amen?;)
I love the layout you chose...It looks beautiful!:)
Very thought provoking post, my friend.
God Bless,
Amy:)
Great post. Ouch for sure. You are right, I think it is so much more important how we act and serve in the presence of unbelievers as they are the ones we want to help "win to Christ". Yes, our behavior around other Christians is importan too as God tells us to be cautious about being a stumbling block for others.
Good words. Thanks for the wonderful reminder to be aware of how I serve in my heart and life, especially those lost to the world.
I like your new blog "do".
Blessings,
Paula
Good post and very thoughtful questions. You are correct in one sense -- it is who we are everywhere that is of importance.
But never forget that we "do" out of who we "are," and we are Him in our world (1 Jn. 4:17b). That is His work -- not ours. So there is no "in church" and "out of church" because you are always church. Him living in us insures His own work. (And I am not a Calvinist!) Even our failings (and mine are many) are used to draw others to Him. It is our heart expressed in genuineness that is used. Even when I know I am falling so short -- He even uses that.
So the very fact that you are thinking these thoughts and working to humble yourself in His love, indicates you are used -- and used in big ways. They are His big ways -- not ours. How precious you are to Him!
My sister-in-law and I have recently been talking about how we sometimes tend to leave God at church instead of bringing him home with us. We know that isn't right and we want to be the same at home, in front of our children, as we are at church. It's so easy at church without the influences of the media, coworkers, etc. The fact that we are all aware of it though says so much. We've been convicted and now it's up to us to do something about it.
(and thank you for stopping by my blog!)
Dear Much2Ponder,
You raise a very profound issue:
"It's not how you serve Me in the church, but how you are serve Me in your life that matters." OUCH!
For many years I presumed my service at church was serving God. I was distraut when I came to the realization that I was really just serving a fallen unbiblical system, and a blind spiritual leader.
I submit this to you in hopes that you can find the truth. "My Story"
http://thebigpictureministry.htohananet.com/blog/_archives/2008/7/21/3804421.html
excerpt:
A little over two years ago I was the (tithing) tech team leader at New Hope Hawaii Kai, volunteering about 20 hrs per week, leading a group of about 10, not aware of any of this.
I was recovering from a near fatal motorcycle crash[New Hope Christian Fellowship O'ahu]. During my recovery I was better able to trust and hear the Lord. What I learned after the crash is The Gift - A More Biblical Perspective , I then prayed and asked God what my assignment was. This is what I Got: Summary.
Note the last two goals:
#4. Promoting simple accurate application of God's word
#5. Exposing inaccurate doctrines practices & teachings.
Then the floodgates were open:
Tithing; God's Call or Man's Substitute
Servant Leadership
Pastor's Pay
Is Christ the Head of Today's Church?
Those 'Whom God Knows Not'
Today's Weak Churches
Are You A Presumer - Performer?
Are You "Playing The Church Game"?
God's Church Or Man's Substitute
Now, When I look at today’s church pastor’s role I see a impossible unbiblical job, one destined for failure, or at best mediocrity. One man is taking on the assignments of perhaps 20 souls. Today’s Pastor’s role attempts to replace the assignments and authority of the entire Priesthood of believers (a volunteer priesthood), and concentrates it into one or two full time jobs. Perhaps the indoctrination of Seminary Training is too strong a bond for Pastor's to break, but the Bible verses are clear. Pls take some time to think it over.
May God Bless You
Glenn
http://thebigpictureministry.htohananet.com/blog
Post a Comment