
I knew my life would forever change after the birth of Andrew. I keep calling him Andrew, but truth be known he wasn't named for 2 whole days after his birth. This drove my father crazy. He wanted me to name the baby immediately, but I thought about it for a while because I realized that once I made my decision it would be his name for the rest of his life. During my pregnancy I was planning on the name Joey, but about one week before his birth, I was watching an Andy Williams Christmas special and I began to ponder a name change.
Ray, my husband of almost 30 years, came into our lives when Andy was just 2 months old. within a year we were married and he adopted Andrew soon afterword. Within 5 years our family had grown from three to six. Andy the oldest of the four children, took on the role of big brother wore it well. Raymie the second oldest, was never far behind Andrew. Kristen the third and only girl, was soon to follow and Jeremy the youngest, did his best to keep up and be a part of things. Andrew had a way of making mundane moments in life seem exciting. Everything seemed fun for him, which drew the other kids to want to be with him.

This picture was taken when Kristen was only 2 months old. Andrew and Raymie both loved her

The 80's were crazy...it was Halloween. Andy wanted to be a break dancer so they all wanted to be break dancers:)
As a baby, unless he was sick, Andy was either smiling or giggling. He had a very pleasant disposition and more energy than most babies. As he got older he became the toddler who liked to have fun. Andy was always looking for something fun to do which kept me pretty busy most days. As long as his eyes were open he was on the go and talk? This kid was a chatterbox and a delight to the adults in his life.
Though we didn't know Jesus personally we were members of a church for 7 years before making our big move to Wisconsin. We went to church regularly and the kids were involved in musicals, youth outing and Sunday school. Being in church seemed good for our family. We struggled with life's issues outside of church, but it seemed as long as we were in church on Sunday we had something to feel good about.

In this picture you can see fun written all over Andrew's face

Olan Mills church photo the year before we moved
Having no idea what was in store for us, we moved to Wisconsin during the summer before Andy's senior year of high school. All of the children were in favor of the move, but today they tell me they thought it would be like when we visited the year prior to the move. Looking back I realize now some of the difficulties our move to Wisconsin brought for our four children. Andrew was a good sport about the move. Even though it was his senior year in high school he found ways to make it fun and positive. The turn of events that took place shortly afterwords is something I would not trade for anything.
Andy became interested in a girl named Kristine who had also moved to the same community at the same time. (coincidence or move of God?)Soon after that he began going to church with her. Her father was Pastor of a small church on the edge of town. I won't go into how it all happened from my point of view because what happened in Andrew is his story to tell, but I will say it was within that church community that Andrew gave his heart to the Lord. Jesus captured Andrews Heart and he wanted us all to see the truth.
Andrew had gone to Spencer Lake Youth Camp and upon his return something was noticeably different about him. He did nothing but talk about the Lord. I remember getting upset with him. This all seemed strange to me. I thought he had gotten involved in something weird and wanting him to come back to church with me, but he didn't; he couldn't. He had found something that added to his life in ways I never could. I didn't know the reason why I was so resistant to this change in Andrew and his attempts to help me to see. I felt I knew the truth already and was not about to listen to this 18 year old kid tell me different. We went round and round about it for weeks even months. It seemed every time we spoke to one another it turned into a fight. Today I realize my resistance was my feelings of losing control. If I began to see as Andrew did, I would have to face the ugly truth about the person I was. I wasn't ready for that just yet, but God was at work.
At this same time all this was going on with Andrew, something pretty amazing was happening in my heart as well. I had been going to a main line church that was the same denomination as the one I went to in New York for 7 years. I had been meeting regularly with the Pastor there because I was beginning to see things about myself that needed to change and I yearned for wholeness. Teetering on top of the fence between the difficulty of letting go of control and embracing freedom was a scary place for me. I was afraid to let go of what my mind thought was real in order to grab hold of the reality the Lord wanted to show me. Little did I know there was a tiny church family that was praying intensely for my salvation just on the edge of town.
Within a few short months our entire family had come to know Jesus and we were beginning down the difficult road of the process of transformation. All six of us ended up calling that little church on the edge of town our family for a number of years. Andrew was instrumental in that awakening in our hearts. Andrew announced in church one Sunday morning that he felt the Lord was calling him into ministry. He and Kristine were married about a year later and the two of them moved to Missouri to begin their new life together. Andrew began going to Central Bible College and perused his life in service to the Lord. Following that he began working as a children's pastor for a church in Missouri, which opened doors to other opportunities to serve God.

These are my kids on Andrews wedding day. Andrew is in the middle with Kristen, Jeremy on the left and Ray on the right.
Andrew will be 30 on December 27th this year. My how time flies. Today he can be found here He has given his heart to children's ministries and is the Pastor in charge of K-6 kids church at Aurora First Assembly of God in Colorado. He and Kristine are investing their lives in the children as well as the families of those children through this ministry. Andrew has turned out to be a very dynamic yet playful person in the lives of many. He has many talents (still has the gift of gab and knows how to have fun). I think he could talk just about anyone into seeing things differently once given the opportunity.
Another one of his attributes is his ability to make people feel they are capable of doing more than they had ever dreamed of doing. He is a natural encourager; always looking toward the positive and casting light in dark areas. I feel honored and blessed to have been given him as a gift. I can't imagine how our lives would have ended up had he not been with us and I thank God for Andrew every day. Oh yeah, one more thing...Andrew has the uncanny ability to take something seemingly negative and making something positive out of it. Each challenge he faces he somehow makes good of it. I always say, "Andy, I don't know how you do it, but it seems each time you step in a pile of poop you turn it into rosebuds and make something good out of it." God is good!
As you have probably guessed, Ray and I are very proud of Andrew, but the best part of this story is not about Andrew, it's about how the Lord took something that seemed like a mistake and used it to glorify himself. The purposes in Andrew's life continue to unfold daily within his sphere of influence. God isn't finished with him yet. I am encouraged and blessed. Good is faithful. I thought this was a story worth sharing.
Andrew, Kristine and the wonderful three! Can't forget how Andrew and Kristine made me a Grandma three times:) That is a story for another day.


13 comments:
This is so beautiful, Pat. Just amazing. I'm sure you've often wondered the extent of how things would/could be so very different had you listened to anyone but the heart of God speaking into to give life to this baby. How truly amazing that he is the one God used to bring your entire family to the foot of the Cross. That is just awesome.
Thanks for sharing.
Oh how the Lord blessed you, Andrew and your decision! His story, your story is such a testimony! I am in awe, marvelling at our Master's hand... how He transforms lives.
God bless you and thank you for sharing your story. You are special!
Love,
K
Must be something about the name of Andrew....My Andrew often gave me fits, yet he never did the bad things some other kids did, as he often reminded me. I could see him becoming a pastor someday, but he never does anything I tell him to do and never does anything in a straight line, so I'll leave it to the Holy Spirit to tell him that. Meanwhile, my daughter became a pastor.
What a beautiful story!!!!! I too...grew up attending Spencer Lake Bible Camp!!! Ahhh...what memories I have of that place!!!
What a awesome story of your precious Andy. That's neat your son is now in the ministry. I know where central bible college is... I attended bible college also in Joplin, Mo. Ozark Christian College... I had friends attend Central. How fun.. small world.
What a lovely story. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Paula-Thanks so much for always stopping by. I appreciate you and your insight. God is good and I am blessed by what he has done in my life and family.
Kristen-Andrew truly is a gift from the Lord. I too am at awe with what the Father has done in my life.
Kim-I spent a few summers and a couple of winters at Spencer Lake as a counselor. Small world eh?
tara--yes it seems the world just keeps getting smaller and smaller. Thanks for reading my story about Andrew.
diane--it was my pleasure to share this story and actually get it out of my head and heart into print. God is pretty amazing as I said and he uses this to lead and guide me closer to his heart.
What a fantastic story!!! I so enjoyed reading this and how grateful God must be that you did not see that pregnany so many years ago as a mistake-look at the Lords work being done!
This post also gives me HOPE. It seems the closer we get to God the less of teenagers want of Him and they have grown up in the church. Maybe one day they too will "come home changed". I am praying for that day.
Thank you for sharing.
In His Graces~Pamela
Good morning! I just read the last three posts and am all teary. Beautiful! I would love to meet Andrew and watch him interact with the children in his congregation.
Life offers us gems, sweet beautiful gems that most often come from our own pre-destined struggles.....don't you think? Your guidance and unconditional love nurtured one of your gems to become a sparkling human being giving and sharing love with others.
I'm glad I showed up here on a Sunday morning. It seems apt.
thank you for sharing a big part of your heart here.
That is just the most beautiful story! How blessed you are! You have an amazing and beautiful family.
God is so good. This story of your life is such an incredible testimony of His goodness. Thank you for sharing it.
God Bless,
Amy:)
As I was reading the posts about your pregnancy, sadness, uncertainty, I kept picturing Andy today! And then there he is with that grin of his--and really he still looks the same, except for the mop of hair. I'm glad the little church on the edge of town was there for you when God's timing was right.
Pamela, I am glad this story gives you hope...I am one who believes, when a person is resistant to the Lord, it's because they know there are things they will likely need to change in order to embrace or accept it. We cannot make our children see what we see as you know, there comes a time in each person's life however when they need to decide for themselves who they will serve. My prayer is that they will see the stability and balance brought into your life through living for Christ and they will never forget it. Lord have your way in their lives...you alone can draw them to yourself. We leave them in your hands. Amen.
Awareness, thanks for you comment. I love your insight and the way you think. I'm glad you showed up here this Sunday as well. :)
Amy, you are so correct and I asked the Lord's forgiveness for times in my life when I missed it and somehow didn't see his hand in my life. He is so amazing, thought it all he has never let go of me.
What an absolutely wonderful glory story. How very good our Lord is. Thank you for all the hope laced through out your heart for others to share.
Bless you.
Post a Comment