Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Missing My Leta

Have you ever had a friend that you feel you have known your entire life; a person you meet and there is a special connection on the heart level or perhaps an unspoken understanding between you? When I met the friend that I am about to speak of here, we became friends almost immediately. In our short 6 year relationship I was very aware that she was one of those rare people in my life. As if I have always known her our relationship seemed to have no beginning and no end.

Leta, also known as a prayer warrior was born with a heart that wanted, more than anyone I have ever known, to please the Lord. Her greatest goal was to make a difference in some way for the purposes of God. Strong in her convictions and faith she was a wonderful example of a person that in spite of her circumstances, held tight to her faith in the Lord. My life has been blessed by having her in it. She and I spent many hours together where she would pray over me and my family. There were times in the earlier years of our relationship when she spoke words of encouragement and wisdom that I will not forget. I have always felt a strong heart connection with my dear friend.

I am missing my Leta today. She went to be with the Lord on December 28th, close to 92 years of age. I knew the day would come when she would be gone from my life, but still I was not ready when it actually took place. On the day she took her last breath...I was unprepared for the many emotions that would accompany this loss.

Leta meant the world to me and I told her that often. When she left this world, those feelings of love became much more intense. It was then that I began to understand what it was that drew me to her and kept me coming back. It's quite simple really; Leta loved me. I felt such a loss for this person and my heart was breaking with the thought that she would no longer be in my life, but the overwhelming feeling that I was dealing was more about that fact that she loved me; she saw who I was...in my heart. I was unable to put it out of my mind. When Leta looked at me she actually saw me and accepted me just as I am. I felt at home and safe with her.

Today with my mixed emotions of losing a heart connection with a dear woman, I am thanking the Lord for bringing her into my life and giving me the opportunity to experience love so completely; love that moved in both directions between her heart and mine. I will miss our actual physical times together; the many smiles and hugs we shared, but the truth is Leta lives on in the many memories I carry in my heart. My life has been altered for the better because of her part in it. I hope she knows now that some of God's purposes were fulfilled through our interactions. My heart if filled with warmth and gratitude. I am blessed.

Below are some pictures of my dear friend along with my daughter and myself. Won't you join me in a tribute to a life that made a difference in mine? I love you Leta!

18 comments:

Amy said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. This is a precious tribute to a lovely lady.
What a blessing to have had her in your life!

(((BIG HUGS!)))
God Bless,
Amy

much2ponder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
much2ponder said...

Amy...just couldn't let this go without posting. She was a very special woman. I miss her. She knew where she was going and that makes it a little easier.

David John Caswell said...

Dear much2ponder,
Don't forget you will always have the memories. No one can ever take those away. Thinking of you. Have a Happy New Year, you and your family.
Love David.

Iris Godfrey said...

Precious, precious. My heart knows this song of pain and grief. Wouldn't have missed it.

Beth in NC said...

I am crying with you! This is so precious. There aren't many of us who have a godly older woman in our lives What a precious gift God gave you! And I'm sure you were a source of great LIGHT to her as well.

I'm sorry for the void you feel. I pray you will have the chance to see the heart of a young woman who needs YOU to be her encourager, mentor, and prayer warrior.

Bless you Sweetie!
Beth

much2ponder said...

David...thanks for your thoughtful words. I also wish you a happy New Year.

Iris...my precious sister, your words mean so much. I wouldn't have missed it either. How does that saying go? something like...it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. We know that death is inevitable, yet we need to love and people need to be loved. We risk our own broken heart in order to live more fully in this life don't we?

Beth...I so appreciate you and your prayers. You are a tender spirit aren't you? Blessings my friend.

Kristen said...

I have to tell you my heart is overflowing just as my eyes are overflowing with tears. I am so sorry for your loss of such a dear, dear friend. What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful lady, a gift the Lord gave you. How wonderful it is that we know this is not the end. That yes, you will see Leta again. I can tell by the pictures that I would have adored her too! (love those bunny ears)

Hold those memories in your heart. That love will never fade!

awareness said...

Your own guardian angel, and she will forever be with you. It hurts so deeply when we lose someone who always accepted us unconditionally, wounds and bruises and all....who always reflected our own beauty through theirs.

John O'Donahue wrote a lot about death...saying that the ones we love bring a feeling of sacredness in the air around us....they continue to travel with us...

holy love encircling us maybe?

she's smiling on you always.

much2ponder said...

Kristen...thanks for your words of encouragement and yes, I take comfort in knowing that she will be there when I get there. I spoke to her not long ago about when this time would come and we joked a little bit about her saving me a place in heaven. When I prayed with her I spoke into her ear that they were preparing a place for her.

Awareness...very interesting thoughts you share here. I will have to do some reading of Mr. O'Donahue. It is true I felt a connection with her that seemed to somehow fulfill a need in me...perhaps her also. One things is for sure we both brought out a playful side in one another. God is good.

Angela Baylis said...

I am praying for you tonight! I am happy you had such a wonderful friend in your life. I am sure you miss her SO much. Maybe you can mentor a young person to pass on her legacy. I would have loved to have had such a friend in my life, too! This was beautiful! Like I said... I am praying for you during this difficult time!
Love you,
Angie xoxo

much2ponder said...

Thanks Angie for you comment. I have had opportunity to mentor and I enjoy it immensely especially when it happens naturally.

Leta was more like a grandmother to me than a mentor. I will miss her very much. I think part of my attraction to older women has to do with the fact that my mother passed away when I was a pre-teen. I tend to gravitate to those a bit older than myself. Ok Leta was a lot older than myself, but her daughter is only 10 years older than I am and she would be what I would call a mentor:)

lil kiss said...

Leta will be missed! I am happy to have such great memories of her and with her. I am excited that we will see each other again someday. I love you MOM!

diane b said...

Sorry to hear of your loss. I'm sure you will carry the memory of her with you forever. She sounded a wonderful person and she was lucky to have a friend like you.

swilek said...

what a lovely tribute...it truly is amazing that God brings these people into our lives for a season...your life will be richer for it!

Rainbow dreams said...

I am so sorry for your loss, those we love and who love us are always in our hearts, they never truly leave us, but we miss them all the same and grieve them..
They are very special people, I love your slides..
much love sent your way and thoughts and prayers too, Katie, x

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Oh boy...I am sitting here crying. Your words were so sweet, dear friend. But then I looked at your pictures...wow what a beautiful job you did! And it made me cry. But in a good way. As you know, I am glad she was in your life, and I am just as glad that you, and Kristen too, were in hers. I love the picture of her at the wedding. I will send Paulette a link to this. She will love to see it.

Anonymous said...

Thank GOD for friends like Leta...and for the tears that honour that relationship.
hugs