
"We hear a Christian assure someone that he will 'pray over' his problem, knowing full well that he intends to use prayer as a substitute for service. It is much easier to pray that a poor friend's needs be met than to supply them."
A.W. Tozer, Of God and Men
Very powerful Quote. It speaks volumes to my heart about reality from another perspective. I am a strong believer in the power of prayer, but this has me thinking about how radical my walk with the Lord might be if when a person is in need, I take my prayer one step further and make a commitment to truly bring relief to that person.
The thought that came to my mind has to do with the fact that thought the Lord wants me to pray for others, he may want to put me into action as a piece of the answer to someone's prayer. Even taking the time to slow down and put some things in my life on hold to simply give another person some of my time means more than I realize at times. Sometimes I wonder what the purpose is in my life if I am not relating with people and just going about my own business.
Forgive me Lord for times when I have seen a need and only prayed when there was more that I could have done to help someone. Help me not to use prayer as the only form of service to you, but let prayer be at the root of each act of service. I realize that there are times when there is nothing I personally can do except pray, but I also realize you are at work in each relationship no matter how deep or how shallow. Help me to step outside of the busyness and seemingly important happenings in my own life my long enough to connect with others and truly bring comfort to the life of another. In Jesus mighty and merciful name, Amen.


12 comments:
WOW!! Thank you for putting words to how I have been feeling this past year and a half. I have been the one basically home bound and realize how quickly those who call themselves "friends" fall away. I also realized that I was one of those people who would quickly say "I'll be praying" or "let me know if you need anything." The person in need will rarely call and ask.
I am looking forward to being healed so that I can put action to all that I've learned. Oh to be the person who meets a need!! Often that need is just for companionship.
You will be blessed as you connect with others. And I KNOW you will be a blessing to them.
~Sheryl
AMEN, Sister! I am about to take a bubble bath right now and linger on those words. Hmmm Seriously, this was a great post. I hate when people say that, but this time it's SO true!
Have a good night!
Love,
Angie xoxo
Over the years we listen to all sorts of stuff about what ‘should’ be our attitude to Who We Are.
We imbibe a weird & partial untruth that suggests we offer Christ alone, not ourselves.
We come to believe that the gift of our self....is either presumptuous or arrogant.
I think we could all do with letting down some barriers.
And making a first step ( and allowing that first step to come over our doorstep too...)
Ouch! So true. My time seems so limited. Even while reading blogs I have cooked breakfast for my daughter, and now have her sitting (actually squishing me) next to me in my chair. Ha. But you're right, we need to offer our time with our prayers. CONVICTION!
Love,
b
This really speaks to me for so many reasons.
I could have typed every word that Sheryl did. She literally said what I was thinking as I read this post.
It is funny that the people that we thought would be there for us through this difficult year are NO where to be found, but then God brought people into our lives from the most unexpected of places. Namely Blog Land. And those people have gone above and beyond in their outreach to me and my family.
God works in mysterious ways, amen?
And going through this difficult year, I have thought so many times about that saying that goes something like, "When God shuts a door, He always opens a window."
Those words are so true. And the blessings that I have found through the window this year have just been amazing!:)
God Bless,
Amy:)
A missionary visiting our church once said, "You are a part of the answer to every prayer you pray." As you can tell -- I have not forgotten that. He spoke it years ago and is now with the Lord.
It is worth pondering. What we cannot do, we can give so others can do what is needed. One way or the other, to pray is to be involved. Our hearts wrap around the people we pray for. It is one of God's ways of moving His people to help.
oh Wow! tears in my eyes as i read this post!
thank you so very much for sharing this! it spoke right to my heart.
as I have struggled with panic attacks, agoraphobia, and fear, i have been pretty much homebound for the most part for the past 3 years.
the Lord has given me such a heart for others hurting, others who may be oppressed, struggling and feel like they are all alone,
how awesome it would be to offer more than just prayer for others!!!
to allow Him to use us and show His love to others!!! that is just awesome!!
thank you so much for sharing this :)
love ya
jill
Amen sister. It can be so hard to bring supplication to the Father on behalf of others when we can are consumed with our own needs and issues. I know this first hand.
I desire connections and relationships much like you expressed.
Sweet Blessings,
Paula
You have had a wonderful and powerful realization. Thanks for sharing.
Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog and sharing your thoughts. I enjoyed your perspective and input.
I love this post, also. What an interesting thought - that some use prayer as an excuse not to serve. It will remind me to be more helpful to others during this Christmas season (and all year long!).
Tozer always leaves me uncomfortable....
There are times when there really is nothing we can do and prayer is all we have - I find those times the hardest, because I am being asked to believe and put my trust in something I have no way of knowing if it is helping at all...
Good thihking material, thank you, Katie
Post a Comment