Not being what one might call "a good little girl" though I heard those words a lot in a negative sense, I often felt misunderstood. I recall hearing things like: "Why can't you be a good little girl?" or "be a good girl" or "Are you going to be a good little girl today?" If people simply recognized when I was being "a good little girl" and pointed out the positives in my behavior, that would have done wonders in helping me to keep my behavior in line.
I was born more of a tomboy than a girly girl. I liked some girl things, but I liked the exhilaration and excitement that came with boy expectations. Maybe the reason is because the behaviors I exhibited were more readily accepted from boys than from girls. Good little girls sat quietly with their hands folded, their legs and feet together and they didn't speak their mind, in fact they didn't speak at all unless spoken to.Good girls simply answered questions as they are asked and they were not expected to think and do for themselves. And good little girls did not get dirty, sticky or smelly. They were expected to be patient, kind, sweet, quite, and passive. Hey....wait, I didn't fit any of those descriptive words. I mean I was those things here and there, but not as a rule. I was a girl who was constantly on the move. I would rather play with cars and trucks than dolls. It just wasn't appealing to me to sit around and have tea parties, put on dress up clothes and play with dolls. When I did play with dolls, it was always with action. My Barbie doll got to ride in the front seat of G.I. Joe's Jeep. She was not standing in a kitchen somewhere with an apron on.
I remember when I was about 10 years old setting up a little barber shop in my bedroom. I don't know where I got the scissors, but I took each one of my dolls, including Baby First Step, Barby and one really tall doll with long blond hair. One by one I cut their hair and turned them into boy dolls. Sounds funny huh? My mother didn't think so; she scolded me severely, took the scissors and warned me she better not catch me doing that again or I was going to get "the belt". I did it again anyway, but she never found out.I secretly wanted to be a boy. It seemed to me that life was easier for boys. From my point of view, boys didn't have to try so hard to be good. Boys could play hard and were expected to get dirty and smelly. It seemed to me boys got to have fun and they could run around without their shirts on. They certainly didn't have to sit a certain way and keep their legs together while warning a dress. What is not appealing about that? If one of my brothers got into trouble or did something mischievous it was often discounted with comments such as, "oh, how cute" or "boys will be boys" It didn't take long for me to figure out that boys were excused for their poor behavior simply by virtue of their gender. It wasn't fair!

I must confess, I have done similar things to my own children. Let's face it we learn what we live and then we pass it on to the next generation. Hopefully we begin to question some of the attitudes and expectations that we feel are unrealistic and then we do things a bit differently.
It says in Proverbs 22:6 train a child up in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it. If we read that verse with the word he emphasized, we will see that it is intended to mean the way that is right for the individual child. Parents and caregivers will be doing the children in their lives a great favor in allowing them to become the people they were intended to be instead of trying to make them fit within the parameters in order to conform to what is perceived as the norm.I had high expectations for my children and likely did some damage to their self image when they were young, but as I grew older and began to understand the truth, I changed my view and my own ideas about the way they should go and I began to simply allow them to be who they were and love them for their unique and individual qualities. I began this by trusting the Lord with my children and realizing they were never mine to begin with. The Lord decided long ago the way each one should go and I trust he has not changed his mind. This has also helped me in my ability to let them go when the time came. God loves my children more and better than I ever could. He still has their best in mind.
Thank you Lord!


13 comments:
It is easier said than done -- to totally trust God with your children and just let go.
Are any of those pictures of you? They are adorable!
Thank you for sharing... a very interesting insight...
Have a peaceful weekend,
Cyrus
Beth...none of these pictures are me, but they remind me of me at different times in my childhood. You are so correct it is easier said than done to totally trust God with my children, but if I don't, I worry and that causes all kinds of problems for me.
Cyrus...good to see you again.
I also had those feelings as a child.
If you ever get the chance, read Grace Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel. We haven't read many books on parenting but this is probably the best because it's for anyone that deals with children.
It is amazing.
And, I've got my more thoughts (as usual!) but for now, just know that we live and learn. And, sometimes, we have to unlearn what we learn.
Love you!
Diane...tried to leave another message on your blog. I don't know what the problem is. It just doesn't work. I have this same problem with one other blog. I am reading your posts though just so you know.
I hope...thanks for stopping by again. I have missed seeing you here.
this is a really good messege. I have not had kids but it gives me an idea for when I do. I myself was a tomboy. I think you and I were a lot alike when we were children. funny! I love the picture of the two girls spitting cute!
Betty...I knew you would be able to relate:)
Thank you for sharing so much of you here.
I am trusting and hoping I am letting my children just be themselves, but right now I am also trying to keep them safe and guide without being too controlling.
It is only ever really safety that triggers a response in me and I think that is such an innate response to want to look after our children ~ it is hard to give up or relax about...
We have talked recently about being who we are and not trying to be someone else... important lessons, thank you, Katie,x
This is a really good post! Very inspiring and thought-provoking. Thank you for sharing your heart.
Hugs to you,
Denise :)
RD...thanks for your comment. It is a delicate balance this parent/protector position. I know what you are saying here. I have no doubt you are doing a wonderful job with your children.
Denise...thanks for stopping by and giving me some feedback. I look forward to some more laughs as I am on my way over to your blog right now. :) Blessings my friend.
Much meat to this post. How true that girls are expected to be good and mannerly. But "boys will be boys". Just recently my six-yr old neice told her sister who's eight to chew "nannerly" with her mouth closed. She then corrected herself and said it was a "m"...mannerly. It was cute. My eldest neice does have the habit of chewing like a cow...I guess she gets it from her older brothers who are true boys...'boys being boys' huh? Sometimes, that excuse has been used way too much...boys much be human too...not just boys.
Love,
Paula
Linked over to see if you had a new post. You didn't, so I read a couple of older ones. This one was very good. I have a daughter like this! "What is on the other side of that door? What if I did this?" She is full of questions and wants to know. Some people love that about her and some don't. But I think she is emerging strong enough to just be herself. We don't want to damage her natural inquisitiveness or abilities while at the same time giving her proper parameters. Balancing that for all 3 of our kids has been an "exciting" challenge! There is no job like being a parent. wb
Post a Comment